Tyres for old Haro legend Mountain bike

crossfire1967

Retro Newbie
Good afternoon

i am hoping that someone may know a bit about tyre sizes .
I have a 1989 Haro Legend Mountain bike that I am restoring and I have come unstuck with the tyres.
The Ritchey quads on it are a bit old and I have decided to change for safety sake as much as visual .
I am going alone the lines of turning it into a bit more of a cruiser and fiiting nitto bmx style cruiser bars and wanted some skin wall or tan
cruiser style tyres like the old bmx style.
This is the issue, the rear stay wont take a 2.1 it rubs badly, so I am relegated to a max of 1.9.
I guess as the quads are 1.6 and have a fair amount
of room between the sidewalls and the stays.
My question is does anyone know of a tyre brand that make a skinwall/ tanwall in 26x 1.95 or 26x 1.75 and something the same style but wider for the front say a 2.1 or a 2.2
Any suggestions will be greatly recieved , I just wont both tyres to look visually the same other than the extra width of course
Regards Neil

I know of this dilemma well, as do others on here :)

If you can take waiting a couple of weeks it is worth checking out these on AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.29ad18020FnAZ3. I have some fitted to a Rockhopper project that I have been slowly cooking up and they look great.

The sizing is also closer to a 1.75 width and not 2.0 as stated, so they should be ideal.

If you want to look closer to home the likes of Schwalbe. Panaracer, Maxxis and Terra One have modern tan wall variants. You need to be a little more careful though, as the carcasses are larger than expected. I came unstuck with some 2.1 Schwalbe Table Tops, which were much wider than a pair of reissue Panaracer Smokes in the same size.

Good luck with the search!

Last edited:
If you are looking for smooth rather than knobbly then these may work for you

Many thanks for the replies ,I have seen those Takingabreak , and thought the looked quite nice but was looking for the same tyre in 2 different widths a skinny for the back ,maybe 1.9 max or 1.75 and wider same make and model for the front where I have no width issues
Thanks again for the replies , i may well end up going for the same width back and front but was hoping that I may have a bit of choice .
Thats the issue I have been having Mynchiboy the 2.1 seems huge , I made the mistake of buying one Cult vans skin wall 2.1 and figured because it had no knobbles tread at all on the sides and only the top of the tyre I would be ok , nope far too wide, binds up tight and not fully inflated either.
Damn these old bikes they look great but baby tight chain stays, all of my Gary fishers have acres of room and from the same period
Thanks all
Neil

Thats the issue I have been having Mynchiboy the 2.1 seems huge , I made the mistake of buying one Cult vans skin wall 2.1 and figured because it had no knobbles tread at all on the sides and only the top of the tyre I would be ok , nope far too wide, binds up tight and not fully inflated either.
Damn these old bikes they look great but baby tight chain stays, all of my Gary fishers have acres of room and from the same period
Thanks all
Neil
These Innovas aren´t really 2.1. Unfortunately I can´t measure them ATM (not fitted), but someone on here surely can, @joglo maybe?

Thanks, please let me know although Ali express seems to be out of stock at the moment but can always look around for them

Back