Beating metal curves tips ?

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
I need to reshape some pedal cages. The outer cage comes off so nice and easy to do.

But part of which is with some nice curves that need putting back in. What’s best tool to use, block of wood/dowel and a hammer ?

I don’t have an English wheel and all that. I’ve successfully used adjustable spanner’s once in the past to do minor bends, but mostly straight edged sections. I want somthing more curvy this time.

Last edited:
I need to reshape some pedal cages. The out cage comes off so nice and easy to do.

But part of which is with some nice curves that need putting back in. What’s best tool to use, block of wood/dowel and a hammer ?

I don’t have an English wheel and all that. I’ve successfully used adjustable spanner’s ones the past fit minor bends, but mostly steamed edged sections. I want somthing more curvy this time.
Are they curved both ways IE sides top to bottom and around the edge? Pics would help!

Let’s say they are like shark bites. So I cant really use my previous technique of adjustable spanner as I don’t want straight edges in any of my bends. Want nice smooth curve. I’m thinking of making a buck but wonder if a round metal workers hammer would be worth it.

Last edited:
Let’s they are like shark bites. So I cant really use my previous technique of adjustable spanner as I don’t want straight edges in any of my bends. Want nice smooth curve. I’m thinking of making a buck but wonder if a round metal workers hammer would be worth it.
Ah ! I have a pair of shark bites the teeth curve inward! If there of use to you let me know!
Decent bit of wood a hardwood former with end grain to the way your working best bet.hammers on ally can get a bit bruisey!

Ah ! I have a pair of shark bites the teeth curve inward! If there of use to you let me know!
Decent bit of wood a hardwood former with end grain to the way your working best bet.hammers on ally can get a bit bruisey!
So like a wooden chisel ? Like a rounders bat or something similar.

I’ve only soft wood spare about the place. . Unless I can find a wooden handle on a garden tool.

So like a wooden chisel ? Like a rounders bat or something similar.

I’ve only soft wood spare about the place. . Unless I can find a wooden handle on a garden tool.
Yeah basically if it's to soft you'll just beat it past where you want it to be as in the wood will dent!
It's tricky... aluminium work hardens more you beat it harder it gets 😆
Sounded bad that....

(see pic) basically looking at mint original versions, the outer cage should follow the same curvature line parallel to the inner cage, the protected inner cage still appears original in curvature shape. They should then have a small indent in the outer curve middle like triple traps do.

So bend them all out then bend back in the dent needed in the middle.

They are only curved in 1 plain as it where rather than in 2.

I assume they are aluminium as feel v light.

I might start with a few gentle strategic bends with the adjustable spanner, as don’t really want to end up hammering them to much if at all, and don’t want the alli to crack. I just wanted to try do a good job and be faithful to the original curve/design they should be.

There’s also a few deeper surface scratches I’d like to polish them up (not sand) what’s the finest way to do that. Like those that polish Zaskar frames, but will that get out the scratches? Can I get some sort of drill bit polish brush wheel that’s fine enough, then I can get in all the corners. With a bit of that tube paste everyone uses.

Then a bearing re grease and on they will go.

9D27478E-6BBA-4007-8282-91C85A34DA1F.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think they look too bad, if this is something you haven't done before they could end up looking worse than they do now, the week spot will be the inverted V of the outer cage so if you try and straighten them out before bending back, they could easily crack at the V. It looks like one of them is already on it's way

If i was doing it, i would make a hardwood former just slightly undersize the desired shape of the inside of the outer cage (to allow for a bit of spring back) put the former inside the cage and use g-clamps to press the cage to the shape of the former, i appreciate making a former isn't easy for everyone..

As eagle eye Betsy spotted there's a little crack forming in that v....anything you now do will make that grow! I'm assuming originally that was more of a rounded shape as well? I'm with Betsy with a former...however it's a fair amount of work ! Plus if you don't get the former really good when you put the cage back on you'll find that the little bolt holes will shift in relation to the body....so it could all look ok in your hand and then you'll have to bend again to get it to line up...you could be setting yourself up for a bit of faff 😆
Maybe if you have a vice and a bit of strap like a ratchet strap you could insert strap through the cage and clamp the strap in vice and give it some pull action whilst cages are still on?
I wouldn't aim for perfect....think it'll start going wrong if that's your aim..just a bit neater 👍
When it comes to refinishing the surface no polish paste will remove the scratches and gouges you have to smooth the surface with filing or sandpaper and go through the grades to 1000 wetndry then polish with a paste!
Pedals really do have a hard life they take the brunt of eveything!

Back