Bearing expert SOS

gibbon_rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm trying to refurb some bearings in a rear hub, but I'm struggling to find them in the UK. The bearings currently there are NMB RI-1438B, which I can't find in the UK.
NMB bearings

I can find one for sale on ebay international, which claims to be the same size as the Koyo EE3S ZZ. But when I look on bearingsize.info, the Koyo appears to be wider (7.142mm wide compared to their listed size of 5.558mm for the NMB's)

Koyo bearings

Adding a bit more mystery, Dyna-Ti had the same hub as me (TNT performance products rear) but his bearings were different. He had an NTN R6Z on one side, and an FBJ 77R6 on the other, both of which appear to be the same width as the Koyo.

NTN bearings
FBJ Bearings

So my question for the experts is, can I replace the bearings for the wider version that was on Dyna-Ti's hub, which are a bit easier to get hold of? Or do I have to replace the NMB's that are on there with some of the exact same size? Might bearingsize.info be wrong, and they're all the same size anyway??

Cheers!

Bearings tend to have many code numbers for the same item..... different manufacturers codes.

Armed with the basic measurements you should be able to use any manufactures bearing that is that size. The 3 measurements are inside diameter, outside diameter and width.

Its not uncommon to struggle finding bearing online! A bearing shop in town.....you will be amazed how many there are if you look online, should be able to help. The advantage of going in, is that they can measure them for you!

I spent years searching for old engine bearings, most codes become obsolete, but a modern version is normally available.

In the end we always just gave a list of what we needed to the "bearing bloke" and he sourced them!

Not exactly an answer, but possibly another Avenue.

Or try Tim at EPS Anglia Ltd. Bearing god. The kinda bloke you think.... nobody should know that much about bearings! I bet he has bearing pictures on his bedroom walls.

If you have removed one yet, I would do so and measure it as TNT used a variety of sizes that are no longer common this side of the pond, especially with 2 metal shields that they used. 3/8 x 7/8 x 7/32 is the smaller of the 2 you mentioned. Most of them are open type no seal.

Back