Back to original or keep the upgrades?

Lhatch4

Fat Chance Fan
I have a 91 Monster Fat that you may have seen on here several months ago. It's a really fun bike and has been upgraded by previous owners. I have also changed things around a bit to my my liking. About a year ago I picked up an all original 91 Stumpjumper. I stripped it down, cleaned everything and rebuilt it keeping it all original. The Stumpjumper has all of the original Deore DX group on it. That's the same group that would have come on my Monster Fat. I've thought about putting the DX group back on the Monster Fat and just selling the Stupjumper frame set. I need to thin the herd and the Stumpjumper isn't precious to me. Also you can never have too much kit so the XT and XTR kit is welcome to hang around until I find another use. What are your thoughts?

Sounds like you know what you want to do, though you've said you've got your fat to your liking. Strip the stumpy and keep the bits until you no longer like the fat as is, the change it up.

Personally, I like upgrades and have too much stuff kicking about so I'd probably keep them both instead of doing what I should.

I would just be moving over the DX groupset and probably put the turbo saddle on rather than the flite. Fork, handlebar etc. would stay the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_104455_316.jpg
    IMG_20211011_104455_316.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20211011_104455_471.jpg
    IMG_20211011_104455_471.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210421_175841_516.jpg
    IMG_20210421_175841_516.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210421_174502.jpg
    20210421_174502.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 30
If that was mine I’d keep the FAT spec as is, except for hunting down a Yo Eddy fork 390 A-C and maybe get a steerer extension ( if needed ). Dan Chambers can do that. The bike will ride better but still have a softer main frame feel than a 90/91 Yo Eddy. The larger size FATs are rarer too.

If that was mine I’d keep the FAT spec as is, except for hunting down a Yo Eddy fork 390 A-C and maybe get a steerer extension ( if needed ). Dan Chambers can do that. The bike will ride better but still have a softer main frame feel than a 90/91 Yo Eddy. The larger size FATs are rarer too.
I would love to find a Yo Eddy fork for it. They're a little hard to come by. When you do find one they cost more than I have spent on this entire bike. I am taking donations however if you have a few lying around.

I like it as it is. Much more fun to swap stuff out, some old, some new, rather than putting a museum piece together. I like the look of the fork, if it works for you, keep it.

Well they’re both beautiful bikes - so credit to you there. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to change things around and see if you like it, you can always put it back again if you change your mind.

I like it as it is. Much more fun to swap stuff out, some old, some new, rather than putting a museum piece together. I like the look of the fork, if it works for you, keep it.
I think this is right. It isn't a museum piece or a garage queen. It looks good and is functional.

Back