Are ultrasonic cleaners worth it?

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Looking at buying a Ultrasonic cleaner to clean cassettes, chainrings , levers , brakes etc.

Are they worth it? Seem to be around £90-110 for either a 6l or 10.

Currently I’m scrubbing with a brush and degreaser and looking to use my time better.

They are good Dom. My friend has a jewellery shop and it makes the jewellery sparkle like new
He bought a bigger one and I've cleaned a cassette in there. Took a long time. But even with the ultrasonic you still need to get the toothbrush out and work it into the hard to reach places.

in short, yes, they are worth it. I have small jewellers size one. I put items inside plastic cups (with warm water and dish soap in) in the water bath and clean things like jockey wheels, bearings etc. so much easier than hitting them with a toothbrush and brake cleaner.
the plastic cups keep the cleaner clean without needing to clean out all the oilly gunk.
it might take longer to clean, but it's non intrusive time, i.e. you are off doing something else while works it's magic.

When cleaning jewellery they use diluted ammonia and it really does it's job. Would Ammonia be suitable on bike products?

Yes. If you’re using one to save you time/money because you’re doing this as a business.

No. If this is your hobby or if you think they are a magic box that you put things in dirty and take them out completely clean and restored to their forma glory.

I had one, I sold it. I found it too much faff for the few occasions I used it.

I’m having to clean maybe 2-3 cassettes a week and I’m sure it could do other bits so it’s all about cutting time down so I can be doing other things.

When cleaning jewellery they use diluted ammonia and it really does it's job. Would Ammonia be suitable on bike products?
isn't the ammonia for removing human secretions though?
for us who only want to strip mineral based greases (yes even synthetic is mineral based) an surfactant will do, my choice being cheap and cheerful dish soap, other's may wish to use something more acidic, like lemon juice which act's to break down the bonds in the grease as well as between the surface being cleaned.

Back