Any info on this Dawes?

Got the paint stripper ready, as soon as I can escape outside I'll have a little go at the green gunk and see what's unerneath.

If the Deore front and rear mechs (MT60?) are original then that puts it a little later than 86/87 I think.

weeman_mtb":162kggdi said:
Got the paint stripper ready, as soon as I can escape outside I'll have a little go at the green gunk and see what's unerneath.

If the Deore front and rear mechs (MT60?) are original then that puts it a little later than 86/87 I think.

Looks likes MT60, the brake levers and chainset look like they are from the MT60 group also... I'm no memory master when it comes to component dates so I get the date codes off them...

Then hit the internet...

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

Scroll down until you see Shimano, tells you what to look for and provides a table of codes and dates

BTW you are only six speed rear so you can't be very late '88 at the latest I would have thought

I'll go with 87 as my best guess

The MT60 groupset puts is at 1988 or later, although the frame design certainly looks older :?

Just had a quick five minutes with a bit of paint stripper and can tell you that the frame is blue, possibly like the one in the ebay ad that I posted, guesing the red was blown in after. There are no decals under the paint which is surprising considering it was probably a five minute job with a 2" brush.

More info:
Cranks, front and rear mech, shifters, levers, brakes are all MT60, putting them at '88 according to mombat.

Hubs are MN72 and pedals are MX15 which date back as far as '83.

http://www.mombat.org/Shimano.htm

Whatever this turns out to be, I've certainly got some very nice bits from it. :D

Thanks for all the input so far fellas.

At least you don't have to feel guilty about splitting it now :D :D

A group set as complete as that not being original! Blimey somebody back in the day... did what we did... back in the day!

hydorah":355tu6eb said:
A group set as complete as that not being original! Blimey somebody back in the day... did what we did... back in the day!

Looking that way isn't it? If so somebody must have loved this bike a lot to have bought all that new kit for it. I suspect it wasn't the bloke with the green paint though.........

I am still surprised that nobody looks for date codes on the Shimano gear or for actual dates on the components such as the stem and seat post, maybe even the hubs.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

The chainset is clearly not the MT-60 as this remained the same throughout until the demise of the DX groupset. It resembles the FC-6206 used for the MTB and the Deore Touring groupset but finding out anymore than just nice pics is proving difficult. It dates the bike to around 1986.

The bike is very nice and I want it but there is a queue forming...

Weeman:

dawes_2_500.jpg

FC-MT60:

40C93339-106D-4410-AA89-F7B260382456.jpeg

FC-6206:

E2744014-CFB3-44A3-9183-44FB2DAFA0D8.jpeg

That was a bit lazy of me to make the MT60 chainset gaffe

I have a mint one in the retro-stash!

The levers could be from any number of groups too, TBH

I think this bike probably has too many (cool and period) changed parts to be effectively IDd and dated remotely without a ridiculously detailed analysis

But so many changed parts means no misty eyes about splitting in my opinion

BTW: I thought you were 'dunbuildin' LGF???

@LGF, the cranks are the one thing that I didn't find the stamping on, the other parts I did. I'm going outside with a torch in my mouth now to probably prove you right.

The left hand crank has some nice hammer marks on it from some tw@t without an extractor, I hate to see this sort of vandalism :evil: .

Back