Any info on this Dawes?

weeman_mtb

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Picked up this Dawes from the scrapyard today, about five inches too big for me but very well equipped. I would love something like this in my collection but bought it with the intent of breaking her up and hanging the bits off something more my size when it comes along.

So any ideas what it is and would it be a crime to break this bike? The pictures you see are exactly how I picked the bike up, I've done nothing with it. Everything is filthy and the green hand paint job has found its way onto some of the components. This is the first bike from the scrapyard (out of about half a dozen) that I've been able to ride to the car, even the perished tyres had air in them.

Attachments

• Dawes 7.JPG
    Dawes 7.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • Dawes 5.JPG
    Dawes 5.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Dawes 2.JPG
    Dawes 2.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,215
  • Dawes 1.JPG
    Dawes 1.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,216
5 inches to big is the perfect size for a bike of that age
sort it and ride it

mikee":11lke495 said:
5 inches to big is the perfect size for a bike of that age
sort it and ride it

5 inches is a guess TBH, it could be more or less but it definitely is a big 'un and I'm a little 'un.

I'd enjoy nothing more than sorting it Mikee, I don't get any pleasure from breaking bikes up.

this is very similar to my cougar 531, mines an 85/86 model (the blue one at the turkey twizzler)
things the same are, wheels, grips ,bars ,canti's (if they are mt50) seat pin, headset,
*things different are the rest of the groupset, stem,

*(this applies to my nomad which is also the same year as the cougar)

im usure of the frame as there all identical even through the reynolds ranges
im thinking only the groupset will tell you what year it is as long as its the original kit :?

I think these bikes are disregarded as tosh, get it cleened up and ridden there as cool as mate,
Lee.

Cheers for giving me something to compare to guys, I remember yours at the Twizzler Lee. If this was the same size as your Cougar then I'd be stripping and rebuilding for sure but it's an absolute gate.

I'll possibly get to have a better look at it in the week when I'll get the nitromors out and see if I can uncover any original paintwork. TBH I'm itching to have a mess with it but have yet to tell the wife I've bought another bike (whilst she was at work) :oops: .

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back