And today I did......

Have done very, very little cycling but much in shed bodging. Currently converting an old Bickerton folding bike into a 6 speed 20" wheeled Road bike. Pretty pleased with it so far but have yet to ride it so jury still out.
Need to drag my sorry ass out on a bike, I creak worse than my bike!

No riding for me today as it has been pishing doon all day, and yesterday was spent getting other projects sorted. Sold my kayak as it wasn't getting too much use lately and also cleaned up my Old Town Guide canoe which may be sold to fund another project. Not sure on that one as have had it for nearly 20 years so has seen quite a bit of action. To be sensible it hasn't seen much at all since the wood and canvas Old Town arrived plus it is getting a bit small for the three of us and the dog.
I have been mucking about with bikes though ;) in one way or another, several projects going on but one is that last weekend I was very fortunate to buy a groupset. I usually build with Shimano and usually older stuff but Heather found a Campagnolo Centaur carbon 10 speed groupset for sale for £60 on marketplace. Trained her well! Ended up buying it off of a couple of photos abnd a pretty honest description from the lady selling it.
It arrived late this week and it is superb condition right down to the bottom bracket. It is all great condition, barely used Centaur carbon, crankset, brakes, mechs, brifters. I did have visions of putting it on the Flying Scot Ventoux, sort of retromod :) But will need to sort the brake mounts or I could put it on green Mercian. I thought it was a bargain at £60 but I am not up on Campagnolo though surely those carbon brifters alone must be worth more. Now to find a frame ......

Jamie

Campagnolo Centaur 10 Speed Carbon by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

That's a great score Jamie! I think I'm two/three groupsets lower on my 2004 roadbike and all of that still works great. Treat it to genuine Campag cables!

Re:

Built a rear wheel today but alas the results were unsatisfactory. It was a bodge job using spokes that on paper were the right length. Unfortunately, not in fact the case, so I dug out my Cyclo spoke thread roller, yes I have one of these wondrous tools I was given by a bike shop owner who'd given up building wheels many moons ago. Alas the rolling head is worn out so now after a Web search found a new one and ordered it, £29 delivered, a good price as often quite pricey. So yet again another task back on the back burner while I wait on the postman. Why not buy the right spokes you say, its got to be cheaper than the tool. You would think so but as usual my scrap bike collection throws up odd combinations of rim and hub so the spoke length is unusual. Spoke roller is a great tool though and cutting your own spokes is very satisfying :D

Re:

You’ve obviously not bought spokes in a while. Last time I build a wheels it was about £1 a spoke. £29 for the tool and you’re already saving. Like you say, very satisfying to get just the right length you need.
Love wheelbuilding.

Re:

Good find there Jamie, I quite like Campagnolo stuff, it seems well made, and always seems to work well in my experience, plus it has that "classic racing heritage" aspect to it; but a bit like Apple stuff it's the seeming incompatibility with everything else that puts me off a bit. I suppose its really no different than the Shimano/Sram differences though, and not an issue if you're fitting a full groupset.

You've had more luck than me at least... last week I bought a 27.5" rear wheel that was going cheap, listed as "without cassette or spindle " which was fine as I just wanted it to test tyre clearances etc on a build, i obviously didn't see the "spindle" bit or properly look at the crappy photos as it turns out it's missing the axle :facepalm:
so I'm hoping the spare 135mm QR axle I have will fit, if not then it's probably more than I paid for the wheel to get a new axle for it... so not such a bargain after all :LOL:

Re: campagability

As long as you keep an eye on chain widths and cable pulls you can get off with mixing things up pretty well. My LeJOG bike is essentially Campag, with Veloce ErgoPower brifters and a Xenon 9 speed longcage rear mech, but with a Stronglight triple chainset and Shimano top pull mech on the front, and Tektro mini-v brakes. And a KMC chain. It all works great, totally reliably thousands of miles and 6 years later, and is my favourite bike to ride.

So much for rejuvenating my spoke thread roller, company I was buying from has refunded my order without explanation. Why can firms with online presences not have decent stock taking systems. If you don't have it, do not say you do, that's false advertising :x

clubby":1fe3vcvr said:
Was Triton by any chance was it?

Had the same thing in the past with "Shiton" :LOL: :roll:

Theres lots of online shops just now advertising as "In Stock" or "Available to order" or "Pre-Order" which is all code for "might have it, might not, place an order and we'll hold your money for a few weeks until you complain and we'll refund you as it's out Of Stock".

Back