And so it begins...again - the Fire Mountain weight Loss project

Oooh that's a toughie. If you love the frame so much you might as well see it thru. Can always hope that prices come down at some point in the future on the higher end retro Kona frames and you can just do a big ol' frame swap and immediately get to the target weight.

I think it's still doable...just be a really heavy rear end :(

2.8kg frame, headset, clamp
0.6kg fork and expander
1kg for current BB/crank/pedals
1kg tyres...ish? Folding Nobby nics?
1kg Saddle and post
1kg mech and cassette
0.6kg brakes and shifter?
0.3kg for stem and bar

That's 8kg ish with no wheels. Assuming they're 2.5kg that's still a light bike, right? Or are my weights well off here? Will have to start weighing things on the kitchen scales lol

My lava Dome weighs about 26lb and it feels fairly light to me. That's with tb p2s, ti glides, xt bits and some old turbine cranks that probs aren't light.
Hoping my Pahoehoe turns out pretty light. Might have to finish that soon

Looking at your original build there is def room for improvement weight wise. Those forks your looking at are lighter, plus the chainset can be switched to a modern 1 x setup as a start (going 1x can save upto a pound). Do you know how much your original build weighed?

No idea but I think it's currently about 26 unless I'm weigh out (puns!)

If I can get some Digi scales I might start weighing bits later

Last edited:
So.

I wanted 23-25lbs. Hence the weight loss title, right?

Well.

I've weighed all my parts, added it up. 10.9kgs. or 24lbs.

Job done, thread over 😂

Going back a bit, to answer the exotic aluminium question......my experience is

1.Too stiff with no flex and straight blades makes them very tiring and draining after a while compaired to curved steel
2.heavy at over 1kg
3.look a bit iffy on a retro ride imo.

Saying that ive ridden on them for 2 years with no issues, and as shop seconds ( small scratch) for £50 delivered cant complain

My plan is to swap for soma cr mo canti forks in 440mm. They are about £140, but if anything like their standard forks ive used a great ride. Ok they are still shade under 1kg, but its more about ride quality and style for my older frame.

Latest posts

Back