And so it begins...again - the Fire Mountain weight Loss project

marshole82

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Or this version which are cheaper and lighter, come in 415mm or 460mm (for the 29" version)

EDIT: Toseek carbon forks on ebay, straight steerer take a tyre upto 2.1" disk only though. Cheaper than the Ti ones at around £90 and lighter too.
Just looked at the toseek. I like em! I've ran a 445mm on the Kona previously, so should I got for the 445mm version? What will happen if I choose either 425 or 445?

Mikey08

Kona Fan
Just looked at the toseek. I like em! I've ran a 445mm on the Kona previously, so should I got for the 445mm version? What will happen if I choose either 425 or 445?

That frame is probably suspension corrected based on 80mm travel forks from that period. So I would chose the 445m if it was me. Going for the 425mm could give the bike twitchy handling as the lower front end steepens the head angle. I think the 475mm would be too long, you'd get a slacker head angle and theoretically more stable handling at speed but you'd also have a really slack seat angle and a high BB. My bet would be on the 445mm fork.

Dont forget - you cant use a traditional star nut on carbon steerers. You need a expander plug instead. And correct torque setting of your stem bolts is important.

marshole82

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
That frame is probably suspension corrected based on 80mm travel forks from that period. So I would chose the 445m if it was me. Going for the 425mm could give the bike twitchy handling as the lower front end steepens the head angle. I think the 475mm would be too long, you'd get a slacker head angle and theoretically more stable handling at speed but you'd also have a really slack seat angle and a high BB. My bet would be on the 445mm fork.

Dont forget - you cant use a traditional star nut on carbon steerers. You need a expander plug instead. And correct torque setting of your stem bolts is important.
Cheers buddy. I though the bike came with 63mm travel so a 425 would be more 'correct' but having ridden it with longer forks ever since I've owned it I think you might be right.

I've just sold some Reba with a carbon steerer with the top nut expander included, so may have to dig out another one from somewhere!

marshole82

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Actually...most of my riding will be loose ground like country parks and a bit of road use. I'd like to think I'll pop the odd wheelie or jump a curb. You reckon those toseek will be ok?

marshole82

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
So I've just weighed the FM....2.8kg with headset and seat clamp. Not confident in getting it down to the weight I want :( so do I search for lighter frame?

The front end will be so light, the back will feel like a tonne ☹️

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I've just weighed the FM....2.8kg with headset and seat clamp. Not confident in getting it down to the weight I want :( so do I search for lighter frame?

The front end will be so light, the back will feel like a tonne ☹️
My bikes:
19" Kilauea from 1993 was 2200g
19" Explosif from 1993 is 2000g
19” Kula Supreme from 2007 is 1400g (scandium).

I think you’ve gone as far as you can with the FM.