And so it begins...again - the Fire Mountain weight Loss project

marshole82

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
For about the eleventy-millionth time I am going back to my Kona Fire Mountain.

Old thread

Since this old thread stopped being updated I've been "riding" a Merlin Malt3 with Rock Shox Reba WC Carbon, and all the other bits off of the Kona. I've now sold the forks and the frame so I'm building the Kona back up again!

I hope that it will eventually be around the 23-25lbs mark, but I need it to be functional so may have to revert to an 8x3 setup and ditch the single chainring, and I'll also be running shocks so that effectively doubles the weight of the rigids I was coveting.

I will definitely be getting decals though, and probably giving the frame a new coat of paint and lacquer whilst I'm at it.

Love a weight weenie project! Clicked on your old thread and all your photos are missing. Would love to see it....

On the drivetrain, surely a modern 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 is lighter than a 3 x 8 setup. Adding a triple chainring, front mech, shifter, and cable adds about a pound.

Run the tyres tubeless too if your not too fussy about period correctness.

Love a weight weenie project! Clicked on your old thread and all your photos are missing. Would love to see it....

On the drivetrain, surely a modern 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 is lighter than a 3 x 8 setup. Adding a triple chainring, front mech, shifter, and cable adds about a pound.

Run the tyres tubeless too if your not too fussy about period correctness.
I guess my photo bucket account stopped!

This is pre-merlin, at it's lightest!
IMG_20210324_195946.jpg

This was first iteration! Heavy old beast, DMR wingbars, I-beam stem, rhino rims, bombers, steel tyres! IMG_20120326_191226.jpg

Looks cool :cool:

If you ride flats Crank Brothers Stamp 1 in the small (they come in 2 sizes) are only 299g and cheap at around £50.

J&L do a Ti seatpost in kona friendly 27.0mm. Also someone's selling a nice Tune 27.0mm seatpost in the 98 for sale section.

If your running a disk brake up front then the older style Formula R1 are really light. Or, modern XTR race with the carbon lever are also light. Even M8000/M8100 XT would be lighter than a cable setup. Then you have the rotor, I would go with Ashima 160mm AI2's they are about 78g.

If you want a light yet comfy seat I can recommend Fabric's Ti saddles. I have one and its one of the nicest seats I've ever sat on. Dare I say, even better than a Flite. They even do a carbon rail version but its £££'s

Run a modern crankset, they are lighter and stiffer.

ESI are the lightest grips.

You could also make a new child seat in carbon using the old one as a mould 😁

Looks cool :cool:

If you ride flats Crank Brothers Stamp 1 in the small (they come in 2 sizes) are only 299g and cheap at around £50.

J&L do a Ti seatpost in kona friendly 27.0mm. Also someone's selling a nice Tune 27.0mm seatpost in the 98 for sale section.

If your running a disk brake up front then the older style Formula R1 are really light. Or, modern XTR race with the carbon lever are also light. Even M8000/M8100 XT would be lighter than a cable setup. Then you have the rotor, I would go with Ashima 160mm AI2's they are about 78g.

If you want a light yet comfy seat I can recommend Fabric's Ti saddles. I have one and its one of the nicest seats I've ever sat on. Dare I say, even better than a Flite. They even do a carbon rail version but its £££'s

Run a modern crankset, they are lighter and stiffer.

ESI are the lightest grips.

You could also make a new child seat in carbon using the old one as a mould 😁
You've thought about this a lot lol

Right, the Merlin is all stripped down and I'm on the hunt for some light rigid forks (c.6-800g) that's are suspension corrected a-c 445mm as I like the slightly steeper angle than the stock look.

Once that's on, I'll rebuild in full and do a weight check then start making a list. I don't think anything is safe to be honest.

Back