An Orange Prestige to pretend I'm 15 again

Bit naughty of them not to mention the obvious rust damage. March 92 frame by the look of it, are you going to save it? I had a Prestige in similar condition. Old work mate took it to weld but no idea if he still has it!

Not sure yet, I'd like to save it if I can. I'll drop the guy on e-bay a message see what he says.

I'm starting to source parts. I've struggled to locate period correct Orange bars and stem but I have an Answer A-TAC or Ringle I could use. I'm not sure yet. They're both around 130mm reach, the Ringle has zero degree rise which I prefer the look of, but my back will thank me for the rise on the A-TAC. It also has a cable hanger.

The Answer stem would also be a better match for the bars which are Hyperlites and currently my only option. I'm happy with those though.

bars and stem.jpg

XT Thumbies are a given. I briefly considered XC Pro until I locked at the prices 😲. I think the rest of the groupset will be Deore DX but I'd like to track down some Dia-compe SS-5 brake levers as that's what I used on my original Prestige.

thumbies.jpg

I think the levers are sorted. These Shimano bl-mt62 brake levers have cleaned up well. I forgot to take a before picture so you'll have to take my word for it :)

I used "back to black" car bumper wax on the rather faded clamp area. Anyone else use that sort of thing ?

IMG_20210802_202737.jpg

I got the frame assessed by a frame builder today. Whilst he said he could fix it, he didn't think it was worth doing and spotted what he thought may be a crack in one of the welds (in addition to the pin holes I'd already found). I wanted this project to be a rider so I've decided it's not viable and I'm going to try and find something else 😭 .

The eBay seller had already given me a partial refund so I'm only down by about £20. It's annoying as I spotted a 19" Prestige frame which sold for £70 earlier in the week. I'd have been all over that. 🤷‍♂️

Back