An Orange Prestige to pretend I'm 15 again

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So I've been looking for an early 90s Orange Prestige for a while and I narrowly missed out on one local to me a couple of weeks ago. I was ideally after a complete bike mainly because I don't have any spare parts but this morning I happened across a frame on eBay. I felt sorry for it and put in an offer based off the one picture and a brief discussion with the seller. The only major issue is apparently a seized bottom bracket.

So I have a frame, but no forks, no wheels or tyres, no groupset, no bars, no stem, no saddle and no seatpost.

I fear this could get expensive! 💸

Since I'll be starting from scratch I'm going to go slowly and choose components carefully. I want it be the Orange Prestige I hankered after when I was a teenager, rather than the Orange Prestige I actually had. I spent all my money on the frame and couldn't afford decent components - they had to come from my previous bike.

Anyway here's a picture of what I've bought. I'm thinking it's from 1992 but I can't check until it arrives. More to come as I formulate a plan and source the various bits and pieces.

s-l1600.jpg

That's the one from ebay with the interesting start price right? Great base for a project, what colour are you thinking?

That's the one from ebay with the interesting start price right? Great base for a project, what colour are you thinking?

It's was yes £1234 :) he actually had it on two listings (frame and frame1), a placeholder to take advantage of an eBay seller discount I think.

I paid £50 including postage.

Not sure on the colour yet, the one I had originally was black like the Clockwork you're selling but with the older decals. I'm tempted to go for a fade but not sure who I'd use.

That's a decent price to be fair. I think Argos have been used for fade jobs in the past but have a look at the old Clockwork thread as I'm sure there will be examples there.

Black is the classic Prestige colour though, especially with the large, spaced out orange decals. :cool:

Yep orginal paint, I think it must have been hidden in a heated cave it’s whole life !! And it’s a 92

It arrived this morning and oh my word it's had tough time. The bottom bracket was hell of a state both sides rounded off and axle mashed in from, I assume, repeated whacks with a lump hammer.

I've drilled it out but still have the bottom bracket sleeve to cut out. Should be fun...

Of more concern though are the pin holes on the underside of the downtube 😭

The rest of the frame seems OK though. Serial number is A2033796. So a 92?

IMG_20210708_124515.jpg IMG_20210708_124533.jpg IMG_20210708_124610.jpg IMG_20210708_124618.jpg

Bit naughty of them not to mention the obvious rust damage. March 92 frame by the look of it, are you going to save it? I had a Prestige in similar condition. Old work mate took it to weld but no idea if he still has it!

Back