How did the maiden voyage go? What brakes did you decide to run on it?
It rides amazingly well so smooth and supple, I am looking forward to getting some big miles in. I'm using Hope mini's, I've always loved the look of them and they are so easy to work on. They don't need any special tools and use regular DOT brake fluid available for pennies at every garage or halfords. tempImagexe3S6e.png

It rides amazingly well so smooth and supple, I am looking forward to getting some big miles in. I'm using Hope mini's, I've always loved the look of them and they are so easy to work on. They don't need any special tools and use regular DOT brake fluid available for pennies at every garage or halfords. View attachment 795745
Now that is a treat to look at! What a stunner. Love the placement of the mount so that it acts as a brace whilst retaining the clean lines. Very nice spec indeed sir!

Now that is a treat to look at! What a stunner. Love the placement of the mount so that it acts as a brace whilst retaining the clean lines. Very nice spec indeed sir!
Thank you very much. I have a thread for the build, 1997 Kona cinder cone disc conversion that has some closer images of the disc tabs.

Middleburns are done, ran them on my Cannondale for a ride, almost left them on there, but they really don’t suit the build so replaced them with some black raceface turbine

So these bad boys will make there way to the CR400.

A bit of swapping of components to take place over the next few weeks

Attachments

• IMG_9958.jpeg
    IMG_9958.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 6
A little more work done on this build today… a few parts being changed to make the bikes more purpose specific.

- Cranks fitted
- Rear wheel changed (I have the front to match but waiting on qr adapters)
- bars and stem changed
- new headset
- tyre change

IMG_0453.jpeg
IMG_0452.jpeg

May well be running this with a 12spd set up, for the muddiest dirtiest wettest climes. At the moment it’s got a wide range 9spd, but would like to run a mech with a clutch for the odd bit of jibbing.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes thankfully this is a 1995 steel frame, before they stopped in 1996. As I understand it from researching, this particular model wasn’t available in UK markets. The only info I could find on it suggests it was predominantly sold in Germany.
Hey, upfront I do like the way you have modified this bike 👍

Just wanted to share a little bit on the history of this bike.
Indeed the CR400 was a late model and sold 1995
Not sure about markets, and unfortunately I never came across of any Alpinestars brochure later than 1994 (BTW: the full thread is really interesting), but the CR400 was indeed at least available in Germany.
Please find below a sinppet of the Bike Markt Buyers Guide for 1995
Alpinestars CR 400 1995 Bike Markt.jpg
Apparently there was a full test of this bike in the Bike magazine issue 4 1995.

Hey, upfront I do like the way you have modified this bike 👍

Just wanted to share a little bit on the history of this bike.
Indeed the CR400 was a late model and sold 1995
Not sure about markets, and unfortunately I never came across of any Alpinestars brochure later than 1994 (BTW: the full thread is really interesting), but the CR400 was indeed at least available in Germany.
Please find below a sinppet of the Bike Markt Buyers Guide for 1995
View attachment 807867
Apparently there was a full test of this bike in the Bike magazine issue 4 1995.
Thank you very much for the information, I’m pretty sure it was this thread that helped me nail down the year. And you are right, it’s a very interesting read! I do love the look of it stock I must say. I still have the original handlebars and stem, it’s also an alipnestars seat, but not sure it’s original to the factory build.

I’ll certainly be trying to track down the review of the cr400 now I know it exists!

Back