A Retro Road bike with that can keep up with the modern bikes - advice please ?

I built a B-----ard Gravel out of a an early 90's steel Mtb frame and forks. The tubing is Tange, 26" wheels with Conti DoubleFighter tyres, 2*9 gearing, carbon fibre seatpost & handlebars and canti brakes. The brakes are the only thing that let it down. Otherwise it's a comfortable ride and functions very well. I can warmly recommend this kind of set up. If i could just get the brakes to bite properly, i'd be 110% pleased. Despite the braking issue, i'm 95% pleased.

If you are using cantis then swap to v brakes. I am on the last stages of something very similar. Mine is an old kona and I have put it onto drops. Also have a cross bike on 700c and that is perhaps the most usefull bike I have ever owned. In winter it has ice spike tyres . Summer it gets cross tyres on it. You could put normal road clinchers on or even sprints and tubs.The only thing missing is you cant fit a front mudguard as its designed as a race bike. I think if I had to have only one bike then that would be it

If you are using cantis then swap to v brakes. I am on the last stages of something very similar. Mine is an old kona and I have put it onto drops. Also have a cross bike on 700c and that is perhaps the most usefull bike I have ever owned. In winter it has ice spike tyres . Summer it gets cross tyres on it. You could put normal road clinchers on or even sprints and tubs.The only thing missing is you cant fit a front mudguard as its designed as a race bike. I think if I had to have only one bike then that would be it
I had v-brakes on it originally but the pull ratio on the brake lever was totally wrong. To cult a long story short, i read somewhere on the www. that a long straddle wire should improve the braking power and they did. Now the Gaultier could lie in the brake blocks or/and the braking surface of the rims. I'm using Shimano Ultegra 6600 brifters.

Try long blocks like kool stops ( or could be cool stops ). Your straddle wire hanger needs to be low down.Shimano do a thing that gives you the correct angle. For v brakes you need a v specific lever like the dia comp one. That leaves you sorting out an alternative method of shifting.My old kona conversion is just a cheap as chips hack so I have made up shifters from some old barcons and a butchered set of short tri bars ( name escapes me )Will pop a photo up when I get a chance. its not on vs though. The overriding thing about this one is it must cost nought so its a whats in the shed job

I have a cx bike which with rs10 wheels is just as quick as a equivalent road bike, but put some CX wheels and knobblies and hit the trails.

Back