A bit bent Butler.....Claud Butler Electron?

Sherlylock, my front end damage is the same in that it isn't noticeable as I had had it a while and the paint loss matches lots of other bits on it as you can't really see any frame deformation at all. It was only when I went into the loft in the old house and had the head torch on and I was pretty much underneath the CB that I noticed it. I am sure without the bit of paint missing you would never notice. I had it a long time and never realised, so it can't be too bad :)
Mine was actually a gift from fellow Macretro member Dave (Theken) many years ago now.
I remember I was about to strip it down and repaint it myself when I noticed it and that sort of took the enthusiasm away, then with young Jimmies enthusiasm for the Electron and his beautiful rebuild has had me thinking more and more about it, now with the latest posts this last week, maybe I should dust it off and sort it out. :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1bdjobep said:
Sherlylock, my front end damage is the same in that it isn't noticeable as I had had it a while and the paint loss matches lots of other bits on it as you can't really see any frame deformation at all. It was only when I went into the loft in the old house and had the head torch on and I was pretty much underneath the CB that I noticed it. I am sure without the bit of paint missing you would never notice. I had it a long time and never realised, so it can't be too bad :)
Mine was actually a gift from fellow Macretro member Dave (Theken) many years ago now.
I remember I was about to strip it down and repaint it myself when I noticed it and that sort of took the enthusiasm away, then with young Jimmies enthusiasm for the Electron and his beautiful rebuild has had me thinking more and more about it, now with the latest posts this last week, maybe I should dust it off and sort it out. :)

Jamie

Had a better look last night and there is a slight noticable bulge and the corrosion where the paint is missing looks quite nasty - quite pitted. I'm going to strip the bike tonight/tomorrow (if I can find time) and clean up the areas concerned to see how bad things are. Certainly deserves saving and I reckon it'll look fantastic restored.....just hoping it's not too far gone. I guess.....if expense wasn't an issue......you could have tubes replaced? Is that a done thing? I've seen a couple of vids of people separating tubes out of lugs by melting the brazing. Is that how it's done?

Jonny69":3n2bmzgr said:
Can't help feeling if you could just find an old school frame builder they'd probably be happy to clamp the frame down and cold pull the front end back into true with a decent size bar down the head tube. You need to find an old guy who did things the old way...

Looks like there are (were) tools available for this type of straightening.....might be an option (it really hasn't moved much as far as I can tell).

2ZvBZokl.jpg

Well.....it's stripped. Found time on Saturday to get it back to a bare frame.......and nothing really put up a fight, even the usual cotter pins issues didn't arise (I do have an automotive balljoint splitter that works a treat on these).

I1C2xYDl.jpg

Zir6Akql.jpg

Running a straight edge on the frame it's obviously out of shape.....and quite pitted. :(

LWhSzzvl.jpg

Measured the angle (as best I can)

0in2KQQl.jpg

What am I aiming for here? I've read that 72° is the angle that these frames were built to.....does this mean my frame is 4°ish out? (the 76.4 should be 72?)

UhvHJYzl.jpg

Also found this whilst searching t'internet....link to an expired eBay ad. Looks really good with decent paint and all its correct decals on (it's obviously not a Bob Jackson Tandem either!)

AdRnjfYl.png

So it's bent and corroded........happy days!

I might be wrong here, but I thought the frame sets used 73degree parallel Prugnat lugs? Have a quick check of the seat/top tube.... if it’s 73, I’d put my shirt on that head tube needing to be 73 as well.

Then you could add the 70’s/80’s Prugnat sticker to your Lloyds basket ;)

Attachments

• 7B181477-F422-4CD7-AFEC-FDE5EBF1C474.png
    7B181477-F422-4CD7-AFEC-FDE5EBF1C474.png
    108 KB · Views: 457
Ahh ok....73° would mean I'm 3.4° out (presuming my measuring is accurate). Wonder what effect that has on front wheel position (an easy calc to do later). Odd that the forks don't look bent.....not to the naked eye at least.

Didn't think to measure the seatube angle for comparison! Of course....! :roll: Will check that tonight.

Back