96 S Works M2 brake boss

Thanks for the info Repacker. Yes, would make sense it's a 97 model with the bridge being that shape and not 96. I live about 15 miles from Specialized Headquarters where they did all of the engineering and prototyping of all the bikes so maybe a few customs made their way out of the factory or was ordered for a local team. Luckily I have parts that would match a 97 better than I have for a 96 so XTR and XT mix it is. Fork may be a problem, tough one to find that has all of the pieces to make it work again. I'm liking the green version as well so may go with that color unless I get more info on this one's heritage. I know an engineer who worked there for many years, retired now, if I can track him down it would be a big help.

Hey, thought I’d chime in lol
I was the owner of this rare beast before the OP and I firmly believe it is a late 1996 and not a 1997. I’m a big M2 nerd, so here’s how I tell them apart:
95-mid 96, late 96 and 97-98 all have unique dropouts.
95-mid 96 had flat dropouts with sharp edges, and no fancy bi-conical bridge. Therefore it’s not a 95 or 96 Team, nor the white 96 Ned Olympic bike.
By early 97, the new colors were out, and the dropouts changed, now featuring an S engraving and threaded holes for rack mounts. Late 96 dropouts were rounded around the edges like the 97 ones but had no hole or S logo. Mid-year in 97 they added side plates to the lower head tube gusset. Brake boss fixture shape also matches a late 96, in 97 it got thinner and more square shaped.
What closest matches this bike is the pic I have attached, shamelessly saved from some for sale site a while ago. My educated and best guess is that it is a crossover year, late 1996 S-Works M2 that is NOT a Team, with custom silver anodizing (likely a one-off) and the latest frame reworks. SN starts with a 96 S. Haven’t seen any 97 M2 frames with a 96 SN before, although my 91 M2 does have a 90 SN. This specific frame had no Olympic branding from the factory unlike the attached pic. Decals are otherwise identical. Frame also came with the original silver Nitto seatpost and bulky laser-etched S logo silver seat collar, that was found on some Team frames. Further justifying this as a 1996. Frame weight was 3.3lb from a rough weight check, that’s crazy light.. Got it as part of a trade, got rid of it as part of a trade. Can’t wait to see it restored.
Try finding another 16 year old with this much knowledge on retro MTB’s ;)
BC2BAD13-75B6-4221-B3AD-7D8AB53B8886.jpeg -Neko/Pawtail

More help. Sent the OP a ton of parts specs and evilbay listings, there’s an S-Works red alu freehub gray ano rear hub for relatively cheap on there, it’s a few years newer but would complement the bike well.
Anyone got a set of red Trick Release Ti’s? I or II either works. Even better, silver ones, and best a Spesh seat collar Ti QR. Also ISO a cheap Judy FSX, or just the carbon lowers. I wanna help him get it done the right way. One-offs are always cool.
-Neko/Pawtail

Forgot to list what came with the frame, these were original. Surprisingly no Ti BB, would expect that to be specced as I think they were gone by 1997.
Aforementioned seatpost and collar, purple Shimano BB cable guide (Altus?), stock steel derailleur hanger and brake bosses (which I may have stripped the flats on…), a badly seized early style (removable DS cup) UN51 BB and a steel cup, plastic cover silver Tange Aheadset, differing from the 97 specs posted earlier which listed an aluminum headset, Ritchey (Kalloy) post (pic looks like Nitto, weird), and different seat collar. Even though a UN51 would be the correct BB, a Spesh Ti wouldn’t be out of place. I’m guessing the original build would be full 739, Judy FSX, Spesh Ti death stem, denim ano Trick Release Ti’s, 738 front hub and those Sugino/S-Works Son of Strongarm cranks. Basing this off of a pic of a 95 M2 Super, very similar spec. Umma Gumma gray and skin walls would look kinda out of place with the silver frame IMHO so I have a pair of NOS Extreme Control/Master Team 127tpi red stripe 1.7” tires for him.
Sorry for info overload, just feel like someone would need it in the future, being a lurker here for years I sometimes find threads on bikes I’m looking to get info on but they tend to contain little specific information or ID references. Everyone thinks they know a lot about M2’s. I know a LOT about M2’s. If anyone has any M2 related questions, of any magnitude, PM me. I dream of getting a unique M2 Expert profile tag. Lol
-Neko/Pawtail

More help. Sent the OP a ton of parts specs and evilbay listings, there’s an S-Works red alu freehub gray ano rear hub for relatively cheap on there, it’s a few years newer but would complement the bike well.
Anyone got a set of red Trick Release Ti’s? I or II either works. Even better, silver ones, and best a Spesh seat collar Ti QR. Also ISO a cheap Judy FSX, or just the carbon lowers. I wanna help him get it done the right way. One-offs are always cool.
-Neko/Pawtail
How do you tell ‘Trick release 1 from 2’ ?

Forgot to list what came with the frame, these were original. Surprisingly no Ti BB, would expect that to be specced as I think they were gone by 1997.
Aforementioned seatpost and collar, purple Shimano BB cable guide (Altus?), stock steel derailleur hanger and brake bosses (which I may have stripped the flats on…), a badly seized early style (removable DS cup) UN51 BB and a steel cup, plastic cover silver Tange Aheadset, differing from the 97 specs posted earlier which listed an aluminum headset, Ritchey (Kalloy) post (pic looks like Nitto, weird), and different seat collar. Even though a UN51 would be the correct BB, a Spesh Ti wouldn’t be out of place. I’m guessing the original build would be full 739, Judy FSX, Spesh Ti death stem, denim ano Trick Release Ti’s, 738 front hub and those Sugino/S-Works Son of Strongarm cranks. Basing this off of a pic of a 95 M2 Super, very similar spec. Umma Gumma gray and skin walls would look kinda out of place with the silver frame IMHO so I have a pair of NOS Extreme Control/Master Team 127tpi red stripe 1.7” tires for him.
Sorry for info overload, just feel like someone would need it in the future, being a lurker here for years I sometimes find threads on bikes I’m looking to get info on but they tend to contain little specific information or ID references. Everyone thinks they know a lot about M2’s. I know a LOT about M2’s. If anyone has any M2 related questions, of any magnitude, PM me. I dream of getting a unique M2 Expert profile tag. Lol
-Neko/Pawtail
What size BB should a 95 M2 Team have ?

What size BB should a 95 M2 Team have ?
All M2’s from 1991 to 1998 should use 73mm shell width. Spindle lengths will vary based on crankset but most compact sq. taper cranksets (Sugino, M737, M739, M563, M569 etc.) will require a 107mm spindle. Can’t confirm but I think they went to 68mm in 1999 up until the M2’s demise in 2000.

Back