'92 Marin Team Issue: Building Your Own Donor Bike (Finished Build: Page 8!)

Okay, so here's the "finished" thing:

tempImageBjSmPL.jpg
tempImage5wbxlU.jpg

And the final spec for Version 1.0

Frame:
1992 Marin Team Issue

Fork: Syncros Powerlite

Headset: Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard
Stem: Answer ATAC
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite (NOS)
Grips: Ritchey WCS Foam

Brakes: Paul Crosstop II
Brake Pads: Scott Mathauser
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR
Brake Levers: Paul Love Levers

Shifters: Suntour XC Pro
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro MicroDrive
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
Derailleur Cables: Suntour Accushift
Cassette: Suntour XC Pro Power Flo
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro MicroDrive
Crank Bolts: Suntour XC Pro
Chainrings: Suntour XC Pro MicroDrive
Chainring bolts: Suntour XC Pro
Bottom Bracket: Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard
Pedals: Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard

Hub Skewers: American Classic QR
Rims: Campagnolo ATEK
Hubs: Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard
Nipples: N/A
Spokes: N/A
Tyres: Ritchey Megabite Z-Max WCS
Tubes: Continental MTB (Presta)

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo (Suede)
Seatpost: Kingsbery (American Classic)
Seatpost Binder: Kingsbery (American Classic)
Bottle Cages: American Classic (NOS)

A few things...

I say Version 1.0 for a couple of reasons. The first, I hate these brakes! They look great (I adore the weird era of braking solutions right before the V-brake dominance began; all those interesting ideas and weird mechanics) but my OCD finds ignoring that lovely cable stop back there more than a little sacrilegious.

With that in mind, I have a short term cantilever fix for Version 1.1 planned.

Other than the brakes, the only other thing I was slightly unsure of was the gold chain and the yellow/gold crimps. That said, I wanted a few more bronze/golden tones, to pair with the saddle, the bolt on the levers, and the champagne finish on the chainrings. Maybe it's a bit much right now, but I think it'll dull nicely once well-ridden, and should hopefully appear a little less, well, bling, once it does!

The other reason for considering this Version 1 of this particular build, is that I fully expect a Version 2 to be needed later this year. The theme of this bike was always that the parts would eventually be donated to other (more deserving?) projects, and right now the bulk of this bike, the lovely, minty Suntour XC Pro kit, is earmarked for the Bontrager Race I recently acquired.

What's nice, is that I'll be able to test its functionality and condition in the months ahead on the Marin, before committing to that route on the Bonty. My initial impressions on a few short rides have been positive though, and I think once I get used to its idiosyncrasies I'll really enjoy it.

I'm yet to test anything on a longer, more technical ride, but I'll add more feedback by way of an actual ride report a little later down the line.

I expect if-and-when the Suntour group moves over, the Marin will end up XT adorned. But we'll see.

Longerterm, this bike will most likely end up being a ride for the missus, which means (of course ;)), some of the other, nicer, gear will probably find its way from the frame to the parts bin, with the original Rockstar forks returning, and a few less disable solutions taking the place of other components while I wait for the right bike to put them on!

But hey, we'll see.

For now, this is the bike. And I quite like how it turned out.

tempImagenscrj3.jpg
tempImagea5zh8c.jpg tempImageCaKvXV.jpg
tempImageKgSKzD.jpg tempImagedEt8Q6.jpg
tempImagejIEE6C.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just put my syncros fork on my version 1 build, just to see. No biggie.

anytime-barney-stinson.gif

Looks absolutely stunning, well done

Well done mate, it's lovely. I agree about the rear brake hanger - I couldn't not use it. Not a big fan of the tan saddle, but that's just aesthetics

Wow, beautiful. The Suntour groupset in that condition must have taken some time and expense to get together. I'm talking from experience, your component choices are very similar to the ones I chose for the Biria in my signature.

I'll just put my syncros fork on my version 1 build, just to see. No biggie.

anytime-barney-stinson.gif

Looks absolutely stunning, well done

Ha, well those Syncros forks came up quite fortuitously before the frame set had even arrived from Europe!

Would have been rude not to pair them together, no? Both being 1/8" and all.

But yeah, that's one of the parts the Mrs certainly won't appreciate enough to keep on there longterm!

Well done mate, it's lovely. I agree about the rear brake hanger - I couldn't not use it. Not a big fan of the tan saddle, but that's just aesthetics

I figured a few might feel the same way.

Because it's a repro/modern one? Or just not a fan of the tan colour? Was hoping the tanwalls and other earthy/golden tones would help it blend in, but I guess perhaps not enough? I also wanted to break up the strictly chrome/black vibes going on everywhere else

You'd prefer straight black Turbo?

Back