28 tooth cog with Campagnolo Nuovo Record

VV Coppi

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I just introduced myself on the newbie thread and this is my first post.

I have recently acquired a 1970’s ‘Coppi Campionissimo’ from Italy. It’s in great condition and everything is Campagnolo, the rear derailleur is Nuovo Record. I live in a hilly area so gearing could become an issue.

The front rings are 52/42 and the freewheel is 15-28. the freewheel is a Regina Oro which at first glance could be original but it doesn’t make sense because the Nuovo Record won’t change into the 28 cog. Problem is the upper jockey wheel doesn’t clear the cog so not sure why it was fitted. It also seems an odd set of ratios as it is 15-17-19-21-25-28. Did that ever exist or are the 25 and 28 a later addition? Either way I still have the same problem.

I understand the NR was only rated up to 26 but that people work around it by shortening the chain and pushing the wheel back as far as it will go in the drop outs. I have also read that people have modified the NR using parts from the later Super Record to achieve the same result.

Does anybody have first hand experience of any of these options? I imagine shortening the chain will increase tension (bad?) plus it might just look odd.

It would be nice to have a 28 but if not possible I could replace the too biggest cogs with a 23 and 25 (or26?).

Advice welcomed

Thanks

Re: campagnolo chain rings

If the front chainrings are 135 bcd (like most 80's 90's campag), the smallest chainring you could put on would be 39 teeth...which would be a good place to start. Plenty stronglight or other replacements on flea bay.
If the freewheel threads are standard 26x whatever the other number is, you could choose from the huge selection of 5-7 speed freewheels out there, maybe going up to around 25 or 26 as the biggest, eg 11,12 or 13 - 26. I have an early 90's Gitane with Campag 52-42 and I swapped the front chainring for a 39t and got a 12-26 tooth campag cassette. It certainly helped to keep the cadence up on hills.
Or, you could buy another retro back wheel that has fittings for an (eg) 7 speed cassette, which would allow you more flexibility with the range of gears...

Re:

Thanks for replying. The chain set is from the 70s so it’s 144 and I think 42 is the smallest chainring you can fit. I would like to get the current set up to work so I can use the 28 cog. Hopefully someone who has done this will respond.

Re:

Move the rear wheel back in the dropouts and you should be able to get the 28 cog. I run all my nuovo record equipped bikes with 28 cogs with no problems

Re: Re:

VV Coppi":117wtxaj said:
Thanks for replying. The chain set is from the 70s so it’s 144 and I think 42 is the smallest chainring you can fit. I would like to get the current set up to work so I can use the 28 cog. Hopefully someone who has done this will respond.
Yes on the 144 BCD for your chainset and the smallest I've seen is 41 teeth but 42 is by far the most common.

On the 28 tooth rear yes most early Campy mechs (Gran Sport, Nuovo Record, Super Record) will do it and Cronoman explained how to set them up in the thread below.

Super Record Rear Mech Rubbing!

Success!

I removed the dropout screws and moved the wheel as far back as possible. One of the screws was bent during shipment from Italy but I got it out. I should qualify this by saying it works with the bike on the stand, tomorrow I’ll try it for real.

I couldn’t understand why the freewheel was on the bike if it wouldn’t shift into the 28 but it definitely wouldn’t do it with the screws in place. I know I can change the chainrings to something smaller but I want to keep the originality of the period, which is why I got the bike in the first place. I’ll just ride slightly different routes! Or walk!

VV Coppi":1xf6cxn4 said:
Hi all,
I have recently acquired a 1970’s ‘Coppi Campionissimo’ from Italy. It’s in great condition and everything is Campagnolo, the rear derailleur is Nuovo Record. I live in a hilly area so gearing could become an issue.

Any pictures - that sounds great!

I had to Google 4 hole front mech!

It seems that dates the bike to 1978 and it’s a pretty rare item. The rear mech is Patent 78.

Back