1998 Norco Team Issue 853 Build Thread

Bit of a hiccup in the shifter department. My NOS bargain price XTR 10 speed shifter had an i-spec mount. Easy to find a bar clamp adapter I thought. Wrong

The pricey Wolf tooth i-spec adapters are for every other i-spec except "B" which I needed, no dice. Then I modified a replica SRAM shifter clamp but that positioned the levers way too low (strike 2). 3D printed adapters were available on ebay but they were fugly. Put out a wanted ad for a Trickstuff adapter which is super cool but very rare and expensive so doubt I'll come across those

Later found out that the M820 Shimano Saint 10 speed shifter case is identical to the M980 XTR case so I found a well used cheapo Saint shifter and swapped out the top cover and problem solved, I now have a proper clamp but what a pain in the ass finding a solution to a self made problem

Time to get her cabled up this weekend and will update with more pics

20231103_145039.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet build mate!
You’ve done a cracking job on polishing those bars, match the stem and fork crown, very complimentary!

Random but did you get the frame with the matching rigid forks at all?
Thanks! I did not get matching rigid forks. Pretty sure all the XC Team Issues in 1998 were equiped with Bomber Z2 forks. I've only seen pictures of matched rigid forks on trials bikes. Be nice to have a set but I've never seen any for sale

Yes rare indeed! I’m thinking finding a set is a long shot! After seeing your build I’m tempted to use a Marzocchi, they look pretty sweet!
These are a 2000 model tho right? Not sure if my OCD will allow such use on a 98 build tho 😂
They do look better than a 98 in my opinion with chrome mag arch over the slightly bulky cnc version!

Yes rare indeed! I’m thinking finding a set is a long shot! After seeing your build I’m tempted to use a Marzocchi, they look pretty sweet!
These are a 2000 model tho right? Not sure if my OCD will allow such use on a 98 build tho 😂
They do look better than a 98 in my opinion with chrome mag arch over the slightly bulky cnc version!
Correct you are. 2000 Atom 80. Its a retromod so wasn't looking to go catalogue and I had the fork hanging on the wall for almost 4 years

Back