1998 Norco Team Issue 853 Build Thread

90's Ninja

Old School Hero
I know there isn't a lot of love for Norco's but this is a bit of a unicorn. I've been looking for a 1998 Team Issue for about 4 years ( and I live in the land of Norco's with the headquarters 5 min from me ). Early Rocky's, Brodies, DeKerf's and Kona's tend to pop-up here and there with some frequency but 90's Norco Team Issue's not so much. Special thanks to @cmay for responding to my 'Wanted' post and sorting me out

This is in "rider's condition" and will be just that, a singletrack and gravel rider. I'm going retro-mod and nowhere close to catalogue spec. 1X10 drivetrain and mostly XT instead of XTR. 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80, Mavic X517 rims w/XT hubs, Race Face bits, Thomson Elite seatpost, Flite saddle, Real Design brake levers and the love/hate Panaracer Fire XC Pro color stripe tires

20231013_142430.jpg

20231013_141613.jpg

Last edited:
For the weight weenies... here's the frame on the scale. 17" frame and just over 4lbs. Not the lightest racing frame out there but not too shabby either
That is pretty darn light, but keep in mind I'm also allergic to ultralight frames as they're harsh for my stocky disposition

Very nice frame, looking forward to seeing it materialise and seeing the obligatory beauty shot in a PNW forest

Also think it's brilliant that you're going 1x with a wide range cassette.

This is a brand I wasn't aware of in the first flush of my MTB obsession back in the late 90s and early 2000s, but since arriving in Australia I've seen quite a few advertised second hand. Maybe there's more Norco love in Aus?

But it's 853, so IMHO what's not to love?

This is a brand I wasn't aware of in the first flush of my MTB obsession back in the late 90s and early 2000s, but since arriving in Australia I've seen quite a few advertised second hand. Maybe there's more Norco love in Aus?

But it's 853, so IMHO what's not to love?
Keep an eye out for the 90's Norco's. You don't need a Reynolds 853 to get a great frame. Here is a side by side with my 1998 17" Team Issue and 17" 1996 Sasquatch (w/ Tange Double Butted Chromo) on the scale. Very comparable in weight and the Sasquatch will likely have the more compliant ride qualities with its more narrow rear triangle tubes.

With the mid 90's STEEL Norco competition series/ racing series, here is the model name hierarchy from top of the line to bottom. Note: early years were Ritchey Logic/ Tange - Ultralight/ Ultimate Ultra-strong/ Double Butted, True Temper OX-2 and later years Reynolds 853/ 631/525:

-Team Issue (multi year. Early years w/ Ritchey Logic, later years with Reynolds 853. Some rare titanium frames out there)
-Torrent (1996 only year in steel and built w/Ritchey Logic Prestige tubing. Good luck finding one)
-T.N.T (multi year)
-Rampage (multi year steel, one year titanium I believe)
- Nitro (multi year)
- Sasquatch (multi year)

20231017_203044.jpg
20231014_174502.jpg
20231014_174443.jpg

Last edited:
Back