1997/8 Decathlon Cobra 540 Columbus tubed

was8v

Senior Retro Guru
Cast your mind back to the 90's and the highlight of any road trip down through France for an outdoorsy teenager was a trip to the narnia that was called Decathlon!

A most wonderful, enormous hypermarket stuffed just with well priced, good quality outdoor gear!

They made some really good bikes back then, and they have quite a following in France (check velotaf forum). Understandably nobody in the UK knows these bikes, as we didn't get Decathlon stores till a few years back, and they are mostly now known for good value but low end B'twin bikes.

Now this bike is continuing my theme of picking up mid range bikes off facebook locally that nobody else wants, this is a mid range effort with a bit of RSX lifting it but most importantly it has that Columbus Gara decal, indicating the main three tubes are high quality steel at least. This still has the brakes hooked up the wrong way!

If you ever see a Decathlon Cobra 740 for sale, snap it up, its made wholly of Columbus Genius tubes.

I may be wrong but I read somewhere the bikes were made by Gitane in France. Check out the French Sachs hubs and Vuelta rims.

I bought this partly because it is a decent steel frame, but mainly because of the colour!

I haven't ridden it partly because fo the wrong way brakes and partly because the seatpost is stuck. But at 11kg it isn't bad at all!

Anyone else a Decathlon 90's bike fan?!

IMG_20211201_133015.jpg IMG_20211201_133024.jpg IMG_20211201_133044.jpg IMG_20211201_133053.jpg IMG_20211201_133104.jpg IMG_20211201_133123.jpg

I did buy one of their mid range, Sora equipped flat bar road bikes about 6 years ago. It was a fantastic bike for the money and took me on several 5 day tours of Northern france. It has since been replaced with a Gravel bike.

I would happily have another of their bikes, new or pre-owned. So much bang for your buck compared to "cool" brands.

Last edited:

Great! Good frames, but obviously a supermarket brand so not revered here.

However they make good riders. Mines getting kit transferred off another bike to sort the fit and the ridiculous gearing, I'm going to use it as my best road bike, I think it will be really quite elegant.

Just as long as the seatpost comes out.

i happened to be in our Decathlon store yesterday. The higher ranges now sell under the Van Reysel name. Anyway i saw a full carbon monoque framed bike, Mavic carbon cosmics, ultegra 11 speed and Deda finishing kit for just over 2k.

prior to the pandemic they had one with full dura ace for just over 2k, but this was on special order and not in the shops.

like others have said, damn good value, but unfortunately no pose value, which counts for a lot in the enthusiast bike world

i happened to be in our Decathlon store yesterday. The higher ranges now sell under the Van Reysel name. Anyway i saw a full carbon monoque framed bike, Mavic carbon cosmics, ultegra 11 speed and Deda finishing kit for just over 2k.

prior to the pandemic they had one with full dura ace for just over 2k, but this was on special order and not in the shops.

like others have said, damn good value, but unfortunately no pose value, which counts for a lot in the enthusiast bike world
Not for me it doesn't, posing is not my thing. I am happy to ride an uncool brand if it gets me as a good a bike that would cost me 25-30% more if it had a cool name on it 😀
In fact I am one of those people who gets a kick out of not falling into the brand trap. That's why I drive a Kia lol

Back