1996 Wilderness Trail Bikes Phoenix SE

It’s not fair of people to keep bumping this up when customs won’t release mine to me yet 😢

Ooooooh, that’s exciting news! What did you get?

I’m guessing Mcada’s 94? In which case, consider me very, very jealous.

And crossing my fingers you decide it’s too big! ;)

Yup, you’ve got it in one 😊

It’s been at customs since 20/04 though, and I’ve had no word at all, other than after my 4th call to them was told it’s at high value stores and is subject to more checks because of the declared value.

Hey Prodigal! As mentioned a few times, stem is only temporary.

Steerer will be lengthened/replaced on the fork, and a slightly longer stem with a higher rise will either be bought or perhaps built…

I’ve recently received a few more things for the final build, so Mark II is well underway!

Including the seatpost that just arrived back from FTW, straightened and with some ti tubing installed as reinforcement:

View attachment 625446
View attachment 625447

Still might be the heaviest seatpost of all time tho! At that length, width, and with the added work done inside to strengthen it post-realignment.

That’s said, two masters of their craft at work on the same component? What’s not to love?
Don´t worry about weight. Suntour seatposts were never lightweights and yet Potts/ Cunningham chose it. I like it too. Otoh, rather have a trouble free than a slipping, creaking lightweight. Believe me: there is a long line of complaints of slipping seatposts on Phoenix. You are at the top of the game w/ this seatpost.

Yup, got it in one 😊

You, my friend, have a total dream bike on your hands!

Utterly glorious.

I debated it heavily myself. but couldn’t justify the expense right now.

Really glad it found a good home tho!

Congrats.

Can’t wait for the forthcoming build thread!

Seething with jealousy as I follow along, of course.

I could have done without the expense but thought to hell with it, might be years before I get the opportunity again! It’s made me rationalise a little too, there are some expendable bikes that I’ll be selling soon.

The build should be pretty simple, but I’ll put a thread up.

Good job I didn’t sell you those wheels or I’d be kicking myself now…

Don´t worry about weight. Suntour seatposts were never lightweights and yet Potts/ Cunningham chose it. I like it too. Otoh, rather have a trouble free than a slipping, creaking lightweight. Believe me: there is a long line of complaints of slipping seatposts on Phoenix. You are at the top of the game w/ this seatpost.

Funny you mention that...

The cheapo, infinitely lighter one that's in there already as a place holder has a tendency to slip a bit during rides...

So I think I'll skip a quick release for this new and improved scaffolding pole, once it goes in!

Cool. It’s a small world, as I also used to own a Merlin (2960) that I believe used to belong to you too!

Oh, yes. That is the one for Rollercams with the weird front mech cable routing, right? You still have it?

Back