1996 Wilderness Trail Bikes Phoenix SE

Well, the first version of this build has been completed for a while. And still getting a regular runout. I'll write a little more on how it rides a little later, but the local bike shop posted a nice photo of it the other day, so I figured I'd drop that off in here for now:

8ADDFD4A-131E-425B-B4D0-2AFE7EFBFF3F.jpeg

I think I've made some decisions on how I'd like to take the finished build from here, in terms of components and direction, so now it's just a case of hunting down one or two remaining and elusive parts.

More updates to follow as those come in, but I imagine this is the bike I'll ride for the next few months.

Give or take a couple of immediate tweaks, anyway (springs have been sourced for the WTB Speedmaster front canti, so that will go back on, and the seatpost is on it's way to FTW to be repaired, as the local guy couldn't find the time).

The main thing to figure out is a nice 1 1/8" threadless stem (something with a decent rise, ideally in ti or silver); replace the fork steerer with something longer; source a silver No Logo, and then a big ol' drive train switch.

More on all that as and when...

Nice Job!
Hope you like the feel of it.
Cheers Kay

Cheers Kay.

I love the feel of it, and I hope to love it even more when that front end comes up a little higher and all the finishing touches and changes come together.

Still, can't help but feel curious to know what the larger size rides like...

Maybe one day I'll find someone with one who will let me have a go on theirs!

Try a longer stem and move your saddle forward. There is nothing wrong w/ having a 130mm stem on that bike.
Well, the first version of this build has been completed for a while. And still getting a regular runout. I'll write a little more on how it rides a little later, but the local bike shop posted a nice photo of it the other day, so I figured I'd drop that off in here for now:

View attachment 617094

I think I've made some decisions on how I'd like to take the finished build from here, in terms of components and direction, so now it's just a case of hunting down one or two remaining and elusive parts.

More updates to follow as those come in, but I imagine this is the bike I'll ride for the next few months.

Give or take a couple of immediate tweaks, anyway (springs have been sourced for the WTB Speedmaster front canti, so that will go back on, and the seatpost is on it's way to FTW to be repaired, as the local guy couldn't find the time).

The main thing to figure out is a nice 1 1/8" threadless stem (something with a decent rise, ideally in ti or silver); replace the fork steerer with something longer; source a silver No Logo, and then a big ol' drive train switch.

More on all that as and when...

Bike is awesome and definitely will be a blast to ride. Come time the lever link will surely appear as well. Everything has its time. Now go out and enjoy it. I have to finish mine as well.

View attachment 625226

Thank you @mauricer!

Oh and trust me, I’ve been enjoying it nearly every day.

Would love to believe you on the lever link too…

Here’s hoping!

Yours is amazing! What do you need to finish? Get a thread up for it so we can all swoon over it a little more.

Try a longer stem and move your saddle forward. There is nothing wrong w/ having a 130mm stem on that bike.

Hey Prodigal! As mentioned a few times, stem is only temporary.

Steerer will be lengthened/replaced on the fork, and a slightly longer stem with a higher rise will either be bought or perhaps built…

I’ve recently received a few more things for the final build, so Mark II is well underway!

Including the seatpost that just arrived back from FTW, straightened and with some ti tubing installed as reinforcement:

4631CBE8-5BC3-42AB-B5B1-7950E991DC8E.jpeg
C58AC599-08CB-4643-9B9C-B475DAB9D716.jpeg

Still might be the heaviest seatpost of all time tho! At that length, width, and with the added work done inside to strengthen it post-realignment.

That said, two masters of their craft at work on the same component? What’s not to love?!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back