1996 Specialized Stumpjumper A1 FS - Query?

Other than the wheels, tyres, forks and v-brakes it all looks original and in good condition, even the gripshifters.

I'd love to see what the Co-op bike catalogue said for the other 1996 models, especially the price of the basic steel Stumpjumper in Red or Indigo Blue. The Red one was my entry into riding a decent bike, and I got mine for £700 at the end of the season sale in 1996 at Dales in Glasgow where they had a showroom floor full of them. I've currently got one of each colour from 1996 though am trying to convince myself just to keep one. Both are recent purchases, the original red one was ridden to oblivion.

View attachment 579843

This is so interesting. I just acquired a totally stock (besides new grips, and the short stem meant for my shorty tween) '96 A1 FS -- serial 96S 01782 -- and not only does it NOT have the Mavic 221, it also sports a full LX kit drivetrain, down to the 7 spd rear cog, cranks and 7 speed LX trigger shifters. I looked around and apparently local shops were fitting different kits onto early 96s? Of note, this is a US bike, but I believe the explanation was the same.

IMG_4669.jpeg

The elastomers in the Quadra21s are obvs completely dead, but I loathe to fit new parts to a kid's beater bike. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lad that weighs 30kilo wet?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up the pic and description, yeah I think that’s very likely true -
1. manufacturers might supply bikes which differed slightly from the brochure spec, dependent on what was available in the supply-line/ parts-bin at the time
2. retailers also altered the spec of bikes sold, dependent on the buyers’ wishes, and what options were available in-store.

I notice your frame number is earlier than my own A1 FS (96S003300), which may explain the earlier drive train on your bike.

Re the forks, my own bike had its original Rockshox Quadra’s swapped out early in its life for a set of slightly later 1999 spec Rockshox Judy hydracoil C/XC forks, and these are superb, I find them progressive and maintenance-free (If you’re looking for 90’s spec!). They’re coil rather than elastomer sprung.
In fact the whole bike has been trouble free and a pleasure since I took ownership earlier last year … so that it’s now my preferred 2-wheeled mode of transport. 😀
Good luck with the project! 👍
1643280282536.jpeg

1643280416815.jpeg

I've not seen any evidence of Specialized supplying this much, if any, variation on stock Stumpjumpers of that era. 7 speed on Stumpies was last supplied in 1994, the drive chain on this is at least a year, if not two years, old, the rear mech looks to be the 94 LX and certainly not the 95 XT Specialized supplied. It might have been a case of a singular swap of parts and upgrade following a damaged frame or warranty return for some other reason. The rear-only V-brake would also be non-stock.

The saddle will have a date stamp on it too which might help piece together the back story.

Definitely a nice looking bike though!

Loving this A1 thread, I also picked up a super original one, it's in bad shape though, don’t think it's been ridden hard just not looked after. My frame number is 96S02425

It's getting a complete makeover, new decals on their way, then it's off for powder coating. It's getting a few upgrades but hopefully, the overall look should be in keeping.

IMG_7255.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking original example, thanks for posting up, lots of potential there. And great that it has most of its original ’96 components.
One of the advantages of these optional bar-ends (whether you like them or not😀) is that they protect the Easton bars and Grip Shifters over the years. That’s how mine survived!
Looking forward to seeing your progress ahead 👍

Yeh I’m not overly fussed with the bar ends, but you’re right the Gripshifts are in great condition and the bars, apart from the decals fading in places are spot on. I am keeping both of them in fact, new stem though that ones just a tad too long.

I've not seen any evidence of Specialized supplying this much, if any, variation on stock Stumpjumpers of that era. 7 speed on Stumpies was last supplied in 1994, the drive chain on this is at least a year, if not two years, old, the rear mech looks to be the 94 LX and certainly not the 95 XT Specialized supplied. It might have been a case of a singular swap of parts and upgrade following a damaged frame or warranty return for some other reason. The rear-only V-brake would also be non-stock.

The saddle will have a date stamp on it too which might help piece together the back story.

Definitely a nice looking bike though!
Appreciate the input re: this odd bike.

Forgot to mention, the rear V-brake was my doing, lol. And the XT BR-M760 did NOT work on the rear bosses (too narrow), so the stock LX cantis had to refitted. Thanks for the reminder on the saddle production date, I believe below reads June of '95, which makes sense for the '96 bike frame, but rear shifter is ST-M563, which I know is Shimano LX '94. So MAYBE the bike shop took off the grip shift cause the OG buyer (a wealthy pensioner who was a roadie) didn't want the mixed X-Ray/8-speed? Mystery thickens.

IMG_4691.jpeg

Re the forks, my own bike had its original Rockshox Quadra’s swapped out early in its life for a set of slightly later 1999 spec Rockshox Judy hydracoil C/XC forks, and these are superb, I find them progressive and maintenance-free (If you’re looking for 90’s spec!). They’re coil rather than elastomer sprung.
In fact the whole bike has been trouble free and a pleasure since I took ownership earlier last year … so that it’s now my preferred 2-wheeled mode of transport. 😀
Good luck with the project! 👍

Thanks for the Judy Hydracoil tip to keep it relatively period-correct. I did a quick check and they're still running over USD100 where I am, so unfortunately that idea is out the door, as it'd be ~1/3 cost of the bike. Fatter front tire it is, then! I'm more upset this came with the worthless specialized Z21 rims over the standard Mavics .

Back