1996 Specialized Stumpjumper A1 FS - Query?

Craigmount

Old School Hero
Background: So I was initially looking around for a nice set of Mavic X 217 or 517 rims/wheels to replace the 117's on my Cannondale. I found a pair on EBay, but they were already attached to a bike. No matter, the seller kindly couriered the Stumpjumper all the way from Barnstaple, Devon up to Edinburgh.

A swift once-over confirmed the bike hadn't been used in a long long time. There were layers of hard dried mud in all the nooks & crevices and under the saddle, one of the pedals was seized, plus tape was wound round the hand grips and parts of the frame.
1635092598019.jpeg
1635092646819.jpeg I'm always nervous about what's under tape on a frame, but it was okay. The 19” frame turned out to be dent-free and with its original decals in a reasonable state. So I decided to keep the bike as it is, rather than use as a donor. I know the Stumpjumper A1 FS is not everyone's cup-of-tea, only sold for one year 1996, however I remember this model in our local Specialized store here Edinburgh Bicycle. - and I still have the original Edinburgh Bicycle catalogue from 1996 (see pic), showing the bike for sale at £1199.95 ... eek!

What I found amusing is the cross-section of typical 1990's stuff on the bike: Bontrager bar-ends, Mavic rims, Shimano XT/LX derailleurs, X-ray 24-speed Gripshift, Dia Compe brake levers, Avid 10 V brakes, Mission BMX/MTB pedals, Rockshox Judy forks, Dia Compe Aheadset, Hope spacers, Easton handlebars, S Works handgrips, TA Specialities bottle holder, Sugino chain rings, Specialized cranks, saddle etc etc.
1635092736149.jpeg
1635092792515.jpeg
1635092984881.jpeg
1635093050717.jpeg
1635093130715.jpeg
1635094462309.jpeg I’ve enclosed a few pics of the bike more or less as it arrived, after a wash & clean-up. The original hand grips were split, however I was lucky enough to get a replacement pair (thanks Matthew!), and I've replaced the brake cables.

The frame number 96S 003305 is stamped on the rear left dropout, and the bike looks to have had some upgrades a long time ago:- Avid V brakes, Mavic X 517 rims, and Rockshox Judy forks. The Avid brakes are stamped 1998, so I'm guessing they were added to the bike not long after.

But I'm wondering about the forks and the rims?🤔. Does anyone recognise the age/style of decal on the forks and the rims, and what year these items likely date from?
There's no retailer's sticker on the frame, however does anyone recognise the yellow ProBike decals (on both sides)? Are these possibly just a bike shop's or owner's cosmetic addition?
Any thoughts/comments on all the above would be much appreciated.
Many thanks folks.

Thanks for that Paul, appreciated. Must admit I know very little about front shocks, have never removed/dismantled one.

I’m now wondering about these Pro Bike decals, both sides, see pics - anyone seen anything similar on a 90’s bike? Thanks.

1635158892865.jpeg
1635158932162.jpeg

How do the breaks feel? I have the same A1 that I am restoring, I have got hold of a new fork (original beyond repair) but it's V brake only. Just wondering if I can keep the Dia Comp 7's or is the cable pull going to be all wrong?

I had a 1996 Steel Stumpjumper, same brake levers as this with original STX Cantilever brakes - I had to change from these DC7 levers when I switched to V brakes as the levers didn't work well with the V's.

Thanks for that Paul, appreciated. Must admit I know very little about front shocks, have never removed/dismantled one.

I’m now wondering about these Pro Bike decals, both sides, see pics - anyone seen anything similar on a 90’s bike? Thanks.

i suspect theyll be something online about whats in them probably coil sping/elastomer in one leg with oil and piston in the other leg

not sure about the sticker sorry

I had a 1996 Steel Stumpjumper, same brake levers as this with original STX Cantilever brakes - I had to change from these DC7 levers when I switched to V brakes as the levers didn't work well with the V's.
That's what I had thought. Cheers

Paul R. Thanks again for the feedback Paul, and from what I’ve been hearing, hoping the suspension is coil spring rather than elastomer.:)

Teus_Harrison and AHAHAH1966... - Thanks for the feedback guys, must admit that had crossed my mind, combining the Dia-Compe PC7n levers (for cantilever) with the Avid V’s. I’ve only been round the block a few times tweaking the twist grip gear change, haven’t yet fully extended/stretched the brake combo, that’s next item on the list! 😬

Teus_Harrison. Great to hear you’re in process of reviving your own A1 FS. Do you have the frame number available by any chance, just for comparison? My own frame is 96S 003305, and most of the stuff on the bike seems to date from 1995 (see saddle July 95). Pics attached.
Cheers.
1635408903050.jpeg
1635408855417.jpeg

Other than the wheels, tyres, forks and v-brakes it all looks original and in good condition, even the gripshifters.

I'd love to see what the Co-op bike catalogue said for the other 1996 models, especially the price of the basic steel Stumpjumper in Red or Indigo Blue. The Red one was my entry into riding a decent bike, and I got mine for £700 at the end of the season sale in 1996 at Dales in Glasgow where they had a showroom floor full of them. I've currently got one of each colour from 1996 though am trying to convince myself just to keep one. Both are recent purchases, the original red one was ridden to oblivion.

1635421993868.png

Last edited:
Back