1996 Specialized Stumpjumper A1 FS - Query?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You can get new elastomers for your old forks on ebay

UK link:
£31.50 and £11 to post? Egads hard pass. You know the dollar is worthless =)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Can anyone shine some light on the seat clamp for me? I know my seat post is 30.9mm but what's the sketch with the clamp? I right in thinking the diameter shown for a clamp say 31.8 is the OD of the actual seat tube? I would like to use a Hope clamp if possible any views on a 31.8 fitting my A1?

Hi again the inside diameter of the seat tube is 30.9 and my understanding is the outside diameter of the seat tube is around 34.9
so my own thoughts are the 31.8 might be a tad on the small side?
The stock collar fits around the seat tube and lips onto the top of the seat tube, see pic.
1643549018459.jpeg

The band on your front mech should have a measurement reading on it ; that should be the same as the seat clamp size needed (probably.....it is that way on the steel spesh frames)
checked the clamp, no measurement; measured, 34.9. Want to replace with non-QR, but can't figure how to keep the cable hanger. Also been unable to replace canti's with V's. It's a catch 22.

Can someone tell me what brand/type of these 2-bolt seat binding is called? They suck. I can't stand them.

IMG_4696.jpeg

Last edited:
The seat-post 2 bolt binding is a Specialized brand one, very pesky to use, and they need about 6 hands to rebuild if you dismantle them.

If you're changing to V-brakes you wouldn't need to use the cable hanger, and simply route the cable housing from the last cable guide on the top tube per Craigmount's picture.

I'm surprised there is no info on your front mech about sizing, but a pair of vernier calipers would give you the size info you need. Your LBS should have one if you don't know anyone else with one. Personally I would order a few sizes online and return the ones I didn't need. YMMV.

You can get new elastomers for your old forks on ebay

UK link:

What about these locally made Quadra springs? I know they won't damp, but they'll also never lose elasticity: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3338130614...813061452|ni_bn:1&_trksid=p2380424.m570.l5997

I’ve posted up a better pic of the arrangement at the rear of my Stumpjumper, it was changed from cantilever to Avid 10 V brakes back in the late 1990’s. Hope that helps.
The canti rear hanger is redundant and is still attached to the binder quick release, I know if I remove it I’ll lose it!🙂
1644145605209.jpeg

I’ve posted up a better pic of the arrangement at the rear of my Stumpjumper, it was changed from cantilever to Avid 10 V brakes back in the late 1990’s. Hope that helps.
The canti rear hanger is redundant and is still attached to the binder quick release, I know if I remove it I’ll lose it!🙂
View attachment 601709
I have those avid10s in the back the other Stump (M2) too!
IMG_4784.jpeg

Why do I feel like the way it fits your A1 is so much more "narrow" (brake arms completely inside the seat sway) vs. my M2 though? I'm having trouble getting the XTR v-brakes/pads onto my A1.

Back