1995 Vario No Limit downhill prototype

Not really had a huge amount of spare time, but have the Spring forks all fitted back on the frame.

IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg
IMG_3583.jpeg

Also test fitted the chain guide plates on the XTR cranks. Will source some appropriate chainring bolts in due course.

IMG_3587.jpeg

I hope you're progressing, we still miss pictures of the hole beauty as complete bike :)

Just came across another old documentation of a Vario bike.
This picture shows the german Bike racer Regina Stiefel at an Bike event at lake Garda in 1996.

She has just changed her Sponsor, and was racing now for the American Eagle bike team, but as they haven't had something proper to replace her Vario DH bike, she has used Letraset letters to add the name of her sponsor to her bike.

American Eagle Vario Regina Stiefl Riva Festival aus Bike 6 1996.jpg
It's hard to identify her fork, maybe this was a Rond DH dual crown fork?

I hope you're progressing, we still miss pictures of the hole beauty as complete bike :)

Just came across another old documentation of a Vario bike.
This picture shows the german Bike racer Regina Stiefel at an Bike event at lake Garda in 1996.

She has just changed her Sponsor, and was racing now for the American Eagle bike team, but as they haven't had something proper to replace her Vario DH bike, she has used Letraset letters to add the name of her sponsor to her bike.

View attachment 786998
It's hard to identify her fork, maybe this was a Rond DH dual crown fork?

Cheers mate.

it’s coming along very slowly with not really much more progress than I have documente.

Regina’s Vario is a Techno as it is a linkage driven single pivot, mine is the No Limit. Her fork’s definitely look like triple clamp Ronds 👍

Very slowly starting to build the bike back up.

Not 100% sure if I will run the original stem (currently fitted in the picture below) or to go with a more boutique stem similar to what Francois Dola ran back in the day.

IMG_0085.jpeg

Have cleaned and polished the original parts ready for reassembly. Have also stripped and cleaned the XTR M900 front cantis ready for reassembly and fitment.

IMG_0087.jpeg

A bit more progress on the infamous Vario seat tower. Every part is machined and over engineered for the task in hand.

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpeg

The first time in 2 years that the seat-tower is back and fitted on the frame. Meticulously inspected and cleaned prior to reassembly.

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpeg

IMG_0140.jpeg

IMG_0141.jpeg

Last edited:
Prototype Hope rear disc caliper fitted back onto the frame for the first time in 2 years. Fitted with all of the original fixtures / fittings that differ slightly to the production version and NOS Hope brake pads due to the original pads being heavily contaminated causing the rear of the pad to detach.

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

Need to have a look at pad fitment as I don’t think the split pin that holds it in place is spread enough.

IMG_0118.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 1
Did a test fit of the Bullet Bros tensioner and XTR M900 rear mech. Will be interesting seeing if this has much of an effect on the shifting.

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0120.jpeg

IMG_0123.jpeg

IMG_0123.jpeg

Still can’t believe how good condition the original paint / powder coat is 🤯🤯

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0136.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 2
Strange, I can't remember noticing the seat tower being adjustable on these.

Back