1995 Vario No Limit downhill prototype

...outstanding.

So many questions....

With the original pads did you attempt hitting them with a series of sanding paper on a flat surface to knock off the contaminated layer? May be worth saving considering how rare they are. Or stupid question: have you reached out to Hope directly to show them what you're dealing with and if they have any dusty old back stock somewhere?

The head tube angle looks to be that of a more recent modern angle. Do you happen to know the angle of the heat tube? Looking at other similar designs like the Klein Mantra and S'bike, the head tube angles look terrible and dangerous, yet the one on this frame looks much better.

Awesome build and thread!

...outstanding.

So many questions....

With the original pads did you attempt hitting them with a series of sanding paper on a flat surface to knock off the contaminated layer? May be worth saving considering how rare they are. Or stupid question: have you reached out to Hope directly to show them what you're dealing with and if they have any dusty old back stock somewhere?

The head tube angle looks to be that of a more recent modern angle. Do you happen to know the angle of the heat tube? Looking at other similar designs like the Klein Mantra and S'bike, the head tube angles look terrible and dangerous, yet the one on this frame looks much better.

Awesome build and thread!

Thank you for the comment 👍

Unfortunately the pads had been massively contaminated with oil and were starting to crumble. Also the strange mounting system used on these pads had also become detach from the rear of the pads (I believe due to oil contamination). I managed to source 2 sets of original NOS Hope pads that in appearance and close examination are identical to the pads removed.

I had been in contact with Hope and although being very responsive unfortunately they could not assist with the replacement pads or the original Hope Technology decals that I was trying to source. Luckily I managed to source all that I was after on eBay.

Head angle wise I won’t know until it’s built back up. I’d say it’ll be 68+ degs due to what era it is from.

A bit more progress…

Spring VLS forks cleaned, checked, serviced, refurbished and rebuilt using all of the original fixtures / ATI gators. Will get another clean / polish once fitted back on the bike.

When I first got the bike I thought that the blue anodising on the brake arch was faded, but having heavily researched the forks this is how they were from new and when I had the forks apart they showed absolutely no sign at all of any fading in the slightest that was a touch 👍

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2740.jpeg
IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2744.jpeg
IMG_2747.jpeg

IMG_2742.jpeg

Last edited:
Just reallised that you can set the fork offset on these. What a neat feature!
this was nicely documented already a bit earlier from @44Racing here #5

I think the VLS is the only suspension fork allowing an adjustment, but sure there are some rigid forks with similar stuff, most known are the GT forks.

The fork in combination with Hope hub and skewers look great! 🤩

And not sure if this picture was on Retroforksbike already earlier, it shows a 1994 Vario with the Spring VLS.
Just another proof point that this is a good fit for your bike.
Vario no limit mit spring retroforksbike.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it’s a crazy feature where you can lengthen and shorten the wheelbase for different tracks.
Fork offset became a bit of a thing in the last few years and there now are options.
I tried to get my head around fork offset and I got this far:
- more offset -> less force needed to turn the bars -> easier to ride hands-free -> more cornering with less lean -> less stability at higher speeds -> front wheel easier deflected by obstacles
- less offset -> more force need to turn the bars -> trickier to ride hands-free -> more lean angle needed to make a turn -> steadier steering feel at higher speeds

this was nicely documented already a bit earlier from @44Racing here #5

I think the VLS is the only suspension fork allowing an adjustment, but sure there are some rigid forks with similar stuff, most known are the GT forks.

The fork in combination with Hope hub and skewers look great! 🤩

And not sure if this picture was on Retroforksbike already earlier, it shows a 1994 Vario with the Spring VLS.
Just another proof point that this is a good fit for your bike.
View attachment 771635

That’s a great picture. Is interesting to see the subtle differences and evolution of the frame.

I’ve personally never seen a suspension fork with adjustable horizontal dropouts before, especially from this era. Like you say GT did a rigid fork called the 3D that had horizontal dropouts.

Pretty happy with how the fork, hub and QR combo turned out 😎

Back