1995 Specialized Hardrock GSX project - Complete with Photos

There are a few ways I could go with this. Thrown together beater, faithful resto with all correct parts, drop bar gravel. But what I fancied was a fat tyred fun bike.

I'm not precious about having all the 'correct' parts but I do like the idea of being age appropriate. I'm also not fussed about having all brand new and shiny bits. I won't be respraying etc as I like its age and patina.

View attachment 778953
Fat tyred fun bike is a good way forward. Going all original doesn't make so much sense when the original parts were not that great in the first place. Likewise, it's never going to be the lightest, raciest bike. But for relaxed, carefree, easy-going riding, an old HardRock is an excellent choice.

This is my GSX which I think is a '96. Sorry about the crap picture but it appears that it's the only one I've got that shows the whole bike :( .
I got it in 2004 and after I'd worn out the original Acera stuff I built it up with LX 563 which it still has today. The stem is now a 1" Controltech but other than that it;s pretty much the same as the photo almost shows. They are great to ride and I can't see myself ever moving mine on. I hope you enjoy riding yours as much as I do mine :cool: 96 GSX.jpg

Fat tyred fun bike is a good way forward. Going all original doesn't make so much sense when the original parts were not that great in the first place. Likewise, it's never going to be the lightest, raciest bike. But for relaxed, carefree, easy-going riding, an old HardRock is an excellent choice.
Agreed. I realise this was base level back in its day. But having not had a retro MTB before I had to have this thing.

I think my key want for this is urban fun. I have other bikes for other things. This will be for hooning around town

This is my GSX which I think is a '96. Sorry about the crap picture but it appears that it's the only one I've got that shows the whole bike :( .
I got it in 2004 and after I'd worn out the original Acera stuff I built it up with LX 563 which it still has today. The stem is now a 1" Controltech but other than that it;s pretty much the same as the photo almost shows. They are great to ride and I can't see myself ever moving mine on. I hope you enjoy riding yours as much as I do mine :cool:View attachment 779118
Thanks for posting this. It looks superb. You've reinforced my hope for this project.

Do you know how big these tyres are? I was thinking of going 2.3 wide. These look maybe 2.1?

Thanks again. Love your bike

I checked the tyres are 2.1 so well done you. It may be just me but they look like a small 2.1 if that makes any sense! I'll see if I can put something a bit fatter on the bike but I won't be able to do that till later on this week.
Glad but you like my bike but the rather fuzzy photo hides a lot of blemishes and I think your frame is in much netter nick than mine. I look forward to seeing your build progress. Enjoy building it and then riding it!

I checked the tyres are 2.1 so well done you. It may be just me but they look like a small 2.1 if that makes any sense! I'll see if I can put something a bit fatter on the bike but I won't be able to do that till later on this week.
Glad but you like my bike but the rather fuzzy photo hides a lot of blemishes and I think your frame is in much netter nick than mine. I look forward to seeing your build progress. Enjoy building it and then riding it!
I've ordered 2.15. Didn't want to get them to find they didn't fit. Cheers

Found some what I believe to be new old stock BR-CT81 canti brakes. Couple of clips etc had broken on the Altus SLR cantis that came with the frame and I wasn't sure they were anything special enough to try and find parts for. These are a nice replacement IMG_20230916_141929840.jpg
IMG_20230916_141935909.jpg

Robbed Peter (one of the fixed gear bikes) to pay Paul again. Threw these bars / stem on with some new generic brake levers.

Ritchey bars are a modern addition so not one for the purists and I'm not sure they'll stay on but they'll do for now.

IMG_20230919_184330972.jpg IMG_20230919_184638793.jpg

VANS waffle grips are a maybe.

IMG_20230919_172622986.jpg

Back