Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
Calm yee self lad.... I promise I have absolutely no intention of starting another thankless task of building another mid 90's Claud with decidedly average kit again.....

Quick question though;
What would the consensus of opinion be regarding scratch built gravel bikes?
A. An MTB frame with road kit.
B. A road frame with MTB kit.
C. An MTB with drops.
D. A road bike with a flat bar & fat tyres.
E. All of the above because no one really cares.....

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
I suppose a lot depends on it's intended use? This bike will be used as a lunch time dash machine, just to keep my legs moving as I'm finding myself more & more sat behind a bloody desk however hard I try to resist...
So one ring up front, and an 8 speed 26 or 28 max tooth cassette, and likely to be road kit.... brakes will likely be MTB Canti's just because I've got loads of higher end nice ones that I don't want to sell and all my V stuff is low end just held for emergency spares.

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
A break from marking-

MTb with high rise stem, flared drops, bar end or thumb shifters road levers pulling canti brakes for the aesthetic but v if you're going for function, cross tyres of skinny but MTB style. Old non sloping geometry
thats my takeBCB608A4-6AEF-4D6D-BC02-7E7999AA30DC.jpeg0649C61E-EEBE-4537-A428-B39B296A66FF.jpeg

Last edited:

oaklec

Dave Yates Fan
Feedback
View
Having gone through the whole building a gravel type bike using a 90's mountain bike frame I have come to the conclusion that, other than the fun of building, it is a completely pointless exercise. The finished bike wasn't great on tarmac due to the choice of tyre (schwalbe cx pro) and wasn't great off tarmac due to the drop bars. However, a rigid 90's mountain bike with flat bars and an appropriate choice of tyres for the terrain would be just about perfect...

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
Having gone through the whole building a gravel type bike using a 90's mountain bike frame I have come to the conclusion that, other than the fun of building, it is a completely pointless exercise. The finished bike wasn't great on tarmac due to the choice of tyre (schwalbe cx pro) and wasn't great off tarmac due to the drop bars. However, a rigid 90's mountain bike with flat bars and an appropriate choice of tyres for the terrain would be just about perfect...
I have a feeling this might be just the case with this one... I'm just having fun with a silly build really.

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
I found the grey one a useful bike for mixed riding coping adequately with pretty much everything. I had this as my only steed for a year or so. Whatever the conditions it was always a compromise but meant road, to boggy fields, to rooty woodland trails, to tow paths and gravel, and even gentle downhill was achievable given a little care. It was best on fire roads and bridleways such as the ridgeway retro rides. The rugged build meant I wasn't worried, whereas a road bike would be a cause for concern, affecting enjoyment moreso than a little all-round inadequacy found with the mtb.

Have it ready for the next Station to Station ride and I'll bring mine. The proof of the pudding.....

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
Nope, I’ve ridden that on a ridged before, I won’t do it again as my old wrist bones just can’t hack it anymore

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
1st & hopefully last purchase for this project, a tidy set of 1:25” Tioga City Slickers courtesy of @2manyoranges 🍊🍊🍊
Just needed some shower time….😉2F1427C6-8BD4-4862-87A3-CC8355B3FFBC.jpeg