1994 MARIN Team FRS build up restoration thread full XTR M900 & Ringle

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Cheers folks!

It is time for another build up-thread.

Coming from the selling of my 1994 Marin "Bull Frog Trail" it is now finally time to take the 1994 Team FRS out of the corner of the shop and start workin on it. All the beautiful torquoise Ringle parts that came off my Bull Frog will be used on this Team FRS build. I additionally got a matching torq. Chris King headset. This bike was quite the bargain when I scored it at eBay. I guess, I was simply the fastest member to hit "buy now". This is from Berlin, Germany (As well as my 1992 Team FRS). Since then, it waited in the corner of the shop to either be sold oir build up. I decided now to give it a full build and sacrifice the Bull Frog Trail for it. Its not about money or parts. Its just about space! I rather own 5 high class legendary bikes instead of a garage full of average shaite.

Best news is: Besides new decals for the top tubem this bike does not need much more (for me). I dont feel the urge to bring it back into a museum-like shini all fresh high-gloss polished condition - nah, dont think so! Why?

Day #1:

1.) Taking off all the parts. Some will be stored, all the others will be sold on my local-listings site.

2.) Some quick overall cleaning

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heres the "to-do-list" or specs of the bike with the parts that I already have in the drawers:

1.) Frame: 1994 MARIN "Team FRS"

2.) Suspension: Manitou 3 suspension fork (front, Manitou 3 rear suspension

3.) Wheels: SHIMANO XTR M900 hubs + ARAYA RM-395 Team XC rims OR original Mavic 230SB with blue alloy nipples

4.) Tyres: 26" Panaracer Smoke / Smoke Skinwall

5.) Seatpost: Marin lite / Kalloy (original)

6.) Saddle: 1994 Selle Italia Flite Titanium

7.) Stem: Answer A-Tac + Noodle

8.) Handlebar: MARIN 1994 original bar

9.) Grips: Ritchey

10.) Crankset: SHIMANO XTR M900 / FC-M900

11.) Bottom bracket: SHIMANO XTR M900 / BB-UN90

12.) Shifters: SHIMANO XTR M900 / ST-M900

13.) Front mech: SHIMANO XTR M900 / RD-M900 (DIY skewerless version)

14.) Rear mech: SHIMANO XTR M900 / RD-M900 (DIY skewerless version)

15.) Brakes: SHIMANO XTR M900

16.) Brake Pads: SHIMANO XTR M900 cartridge version

17.) Pedals: SHIMANO Deore XT PD-M735

18.) Headset: SHIMANO Deore XTR M900 / HS-M900

19.) Cables: SHIMANO Deore XTR M900

20.) Cassette: SHIMANO Deore XTR M900 / CS-M900

21.) Chain: SHIMANO Deore XTR / Dura-Ace HG

22.) Everything else: Ringle H2O bottle cages (2x), Ringle MoJo cantilever hanger, torquoise chainring screws, torquoise pulley wheels

1994 Marin Team FRS build up restoration Thread by Falko Schloetel Germany 01.jpeg

1994 Marin Team FRS build up restoration Thread by Falko Schloetel Germany 02.jpeg

1994 Marin Team FRS build up restoration Thread by Falko Schloetel Germany 03.jpeg

1994 Marin Team FRS build up restoration Thread by Falko Schloetel Germany 04.jpeg

1994 Marin Team FRS build up restoration Thread by Falko Schloetel Germany 05.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool project :cool:!

What the condition of/plans with the Manitou's?
BTW, I think it's just XTR, instead of Deore XTR, right?

Looking forward to updates!

Thank You! The Manitous will be completely re-build and serviced with my steel spring kits. You are correct! I delete the "deore".

That's in pretty good condition. Nice and rare, keep it forever, ride and enjoy ownership!
I'm hoping that chainstay cleaned up well with nothing nasty underneath. That's looks solid, where the 1995 has a reputation with the CNC'd link...bit.

Thanks.

Unpacked the torquoise Chris King headset today. Will use a silver top grip cap for now on it until I find another Grip Lock version of it. Will not switch to an ahead system.

1994 Marin Team FRS build up restoration Thread by Falko Schloetel Germany 10.jpeg

Hi! Still stored away alongside all my other high class frames. Too many projects right now. But I will try to at least finish the polishing job until March. Build up can likely be completed until June :-D I guess ...

Last edited:
Hi! Do you know how to rebuild the rear suspension? Especially the inner leg I can't take it away from the outer leg

Back