1994 (I think) Marin Titanium FRS

When I'm next with the rest of my bikes I'll take a better shot, I think there might be a 3 there too but its a bit obscured, here is the pic I am using for now:

IMG_3463.jpg

It's a '93 that probably had a warranty replacement rear end. Shouldn't be impossible to get the Manitou 2 rear end off another lower grade frame, plus the front forks will be simple to obtain.
The other indicators are the full M900 group. What wheels are they?
Nice find by the way! If you're wanting any advice, you're aware I've been through a full restoration of one of these? I'd definitely strip the decals, clean the frame, and then apply some fresh decals. It'll make the world of difference - patina is nice, but tatty decals stretch patina too far in my eyes.
Clean it up and show it off!

Thanks for the advice.

Ah that makes sense then. Glad it's a 1993 then as I have a 1993 Bear valley SE (my 2nd ever proper mountain bike and 1st Marin back in the day) so it'll sit well with that. Although looking at the 1993 Marin catalogue I can't see the Ti FRS, have you a scan of it you could upload please mate? 'll search for some back end Manitou 2s and front Manitou 2s in time.

Thanks it was a good find from help on here and lucky as the other Ti FRS I have (frame) coming over, it's an even earlier one as it has pink/purple Manitou written vertically on the rear suspension, that's the 20.5 inch one I will probably sell if I get a decent offer, otherwise I shall simply build that up for a 'pub bike' ahem ;) Never thought I'd own one let alone two!

Thinking more about the decals I agree with you, the top Titanium FRS one are coming off and for the time being the Marin ones can stay until I obtain some replacement ones, although I'm rubbish at applying them! :facepalm: Who did you get yours from? Repro or original?

Benandemu":1yusgpnf said:
It's a '93 that probably had a warranty replacement rear end. Shouldn't be impossible to get the Manitou 2 rear end off another lower grade frame, plus the front forks will be simple to obtain.
The other indicators are the full M900 group. What wheels are they?
Nice find by the way! If you're wanting any advice, you're aware I've been through a full restoration of one of these? I'd definitely strip the decals, clean the frame, and then apply some fresh decals. It'll make the world of difference - patina is nice, but tatty decals stretch patina too far in my eyes.
Clean it up and show it off!

Yes they are different I shall be rectifying this in time. Not sure of the exact model as it's been in hibernation all winter until the other day and now being cleaned up :cool:

Benandemu":3hc5xf8r said:
The rear rim looks like an Araya 395 team, and the front looks like a Mavic 230 TIB.

I have a decent picture of the 1993 bike somewhere. Think it's an advert in a magazine actually. Let me make the necessary enquiries. It should have a full M900 group, Ti bar/stem purple railed Marin Lite saddle, Marin Lite tyres, Araya 395 team rims, purple nipples, and of course Manitou 2 front and rear.

I'd be interested in the other frame for its rear end if I were you (providing it has the M2 rear shocks). My interest in buying it is low, because of its size. If it were smaller, then I love to give it a home. I've been trying to get hold of a '93 in the US, but the seller has gone quiet on me.

These bikes were the last of the full groupset subscription, as the '94 range turned to the tricknology of boutique/lightweight components.

Cool send me that please mate, I'll take a pic of the frame number later. My 20.5 inch will be even older than this full bike. My full bike does have full M900 groupset so you're bang on 1994 was tricked out. I have replacement NOS bottle cages and bar ends for it and then I'll get the old ones re anodised. and swap them over for the 20.5 inch which I'm not leaning towards building up...maybe...but slowly.

Benandemu":1ktvz70r said:
I have a decent picture of the 1993 bike somewhere. Think it's an advert in a magazine actually. Let me make the necessary enquiries. It should have a full M900 group, Ti bar/stem purple railed Marin Lite saddle, Marin Lite tyres, Araya 395 team rims, purple nipples, and of course Manitou 2 front and rear.

I'd be interested in the other frame for its rear end if I were you (providing it has the M2 rear shocks). My interest in buying it is low, because of its size. If it were smaller, then I love to give it a home. I've been trying to get hold of a '93 in the US, but the seller has gone quiet on me.

These bikes were the last of the full groupset subscription, as the '94 range turned to the tricknology of boutique/lightweight components.

Benandemu said:

These bikes were the last of the full groupset subscription, as the '94 range turned to the tricknology of boutique/lightweight components.[/quoteI

I'd be interested in the pic too if you can find it please....

Cheers

Rob

Back