1994 American Bicycle Manufacturer M16 build thread

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
View attachment 805043
Finished mine last week too! Just need Panos to complete the Trio of Americans!!
I was working on mine yesterday but I am still far from seeing the end of it.

Currently I am stuck with finding the correct BB (spindle length) for the cranks I have. I am using an early STX crankset. Tried Shimano with 113 mm and it’s just not aligned correctly having little clearance (less than 5mm) between the crank arm on the non drive side and the chain stay while having more than a cm on the drive side.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sheldon mentions 113 size spindle too btw.

Currently I am stuck with finding the correct BB (spindle length) for the cranks I have. I am using an early STX crankset. Tried Shimano with 113 mm and it’s just not aligned correctly having little clearance (less than 5mm) between the crank arm on the non drive side and the chain stay while having more than a cm on the drive side.

I had a similar problem, mine came without a BB so a bit of trial and error was needed.

I wanted to fit a Shimano XT M730 crankset and initially tried a 68/118 BB that I had in my parts box.. spindle was too short for the M730 with both the crank arm and small sprocket fouling the frame. However, trying another Shimano crankset (M737) seemed to fit OK - a bit tighter than I'd like though.

From this I could estimate that that a 68/121 would not make much difference so I bought a 68/127mm BB on Amazon and that works nicely with the Shimano M730 Crankset - gives good crank arm clearance and a decent chain line.

Back