1993 MARIN Team Issue Restoration Build Project - XTR M900

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
I came across this 1993 MARIN "Team Issue" project bike that some dude wanted to give up on. I was happy to take over. Some previous owner seriously tried to re-spray it with some matte black spray can. Currently I am working my way back to the original beautiful bare "brushed" metal surface. This is quite some work - but its a nice project!

This bike will be built almost back to original with some nice but very modest and subtle high-class upgrades.

1993 Marin Team Issue Shimano Deore XTR M900 MTB bike restoration project image picture exampl...jpg

What I have so far:

- NOS Control Tech Titanium seat post binder (purple)
- Bor Yueh or Ringle H20 bottle cage (purple)
- SHIMANO XTR M900 bottom bracket bb-un90
- SHIMANO XTR M900 headset 1 1/8"
- MARIN original T6 handle bars

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Specs list (up to latest post):

1.) Frame: 1993 MARIN "Team Issue" - Size XL

2.) Forks: Marin Rockstar (original)

3.) Wheels: ARAYA RM-395 Team

4.) Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1, Panaracer Dart Classic 2.1

5.) Seatpost: Zoom standard nickel plated

6.) Saddle: MARIN lite Ti Titanium

7.) Stem: Marin lite (original)

8.) Handlebar: MARIN lite T6 flatbar (original)

9.) Grips: Ritchey Comp Trail rubber Grips

10.) Crankset: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

11.) Bottom bracket: SHIMANO Deore XTR M900 / BB-UN90

12.) Shifters: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

13.) Front mech: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

14.) Rear mech: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

15.) Brakes: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

16.) Brake Pads: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

17.) Pedals: not yet assembled (Shimano PD-M737), still in the drawer!

18.) Headset: SHIMANO Deore XTR M900 / HS-M900

19.) Cables: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

20.) Cassette: not yet assembled (Shimano XTR M900), still in the drawer!

21.) Chain: n/a

22.) Everything else: Control Tech Titanium Seatpost Binder (purple), Ringle H2O bottle cage (purple)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The latest picture during the build-up so far:

1993 Marin Team Issue Shimano Deore XTR M900 MTB bike restoration project image picture examp...jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you! I saw another beautiful 1993 Team Issue restoration project here on RetroBike too. Only issue I have is the color of the repro-decals.

I am currently in contact with Gil. I am working on the exact color matching of a new decal-set with him. I am aiming on a quite dark violet instead of a too blueish purple which I have seen so far in the net.

Here is the 100% original color from another 1993 Team Issue project frame set I am currently selling.

Attachments

• 1993 Marin Team Issue Purple Color Example Picture Image.jpg
    1993 Marin Team Issue Purple Color Example Picture Image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 895
Some baby steps today! While I am still polishing the frame back to normal, its not forbidden to already find some nice matching parts, is it? :)

I really liked this standard ZOOM seat post because of the brushed and titanium colored surface. I polished off all the Logos. I wish they also made a matching handle bar to it - at least I didnt find any!? Do you guys know? By the way: The diameter size of a 1993 Marin Team Issue seat post is: 26.4 mm

I do also have the original Marin Titanium saddle - the Flite here in the picture is just a "dummy" at the moment.

And of course: The very classic purple Ringle H2O bottle cage :) Horrible cages - but we all do love them so much, dont we? :)

Last but not least: Tune seat binder (purple) - NOS ControlTech (purple) as an alternative is also on its way to my shop.

Cheers

Back