1993 Answer MANITOU System FS project build up Mountainbike thread

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Good day folks!

I am starting a new build-up thread. This iconic 1993 Answer MANITOU FS frame & fork set has been lying around in my shop since February `21 now and its finally time to get it on!

So, I bought this off eBay in January / February 2021 from an older couple saying that their son has passed away and left this "unused and NOS" Answer Manitou FS frame set behind. Of course and at very first glance you could see that this was well ridden and nowhere near NOS or unused. They said it had no cracks at all and went to inspect it again for me beforehand.

When it arrived, I noticed a cracked top tube *yikes*. Of course!!! I mean, we all know 99,9% of all earlier Manitou FS are cracked! So was mine now. Whatever, I finally decided to have the top tube replaced by Dan Chambers (a big shoutout and thank you at this point already for his help so far!).

I already put together a list of what it will be like. I assume, I will be finished with this in winter or take my time until spring next year.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Specs list (up to latest post):

1.) Frame: 1993 Answer Manitou FS

2.) Forks: 1993 Answer Manitou MK II

3.) Wheels: Ritchey Vantage Pro rims + SHIMANO XTR M900 hubs (planned)

4.) Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1, Panaracer Dart Classic 2.1 (planned)

5.) Seatpost: NOS Ringle / Answer Manitou specific "Moby" seat post (already in the drawer)

6.) Saddle: NOS 1993 Selle Italia Flite Titanium (already in the drawer)

7.) Stem: 1 1/4" A-TAC polished quill stem (already in the drawer)

8.) Handlebar: Answer Taperlite flatbar (planned)

9.) Grips: Ritchey standard rubber grips (planned)

10.) Crankset: SHIMANO Deore XTR FC-M900 (already in the drawer)

11.) Bottom bracket: SHIMANO Deore XTR M900 / BB-UN90 (already in the drawer)

12.) Shifters: SHIMANO XTR M900 (already in the drawer)

13.) Front mech: SHIMANO XTR M900 with Manitou FS specific clamp (already ih the drawer)

14.) Rear mech: SHIMANO XTR RD-M900 (already in the drawer)

15.) Brakes: SHIMANO XTR BR-M900 or MAGURA Race line (not decided yet)

16.) Brake Pads: SHIMANO XTR BR-M900 cartridge system (already in the drawer)

17.) Pedals: SHIMANO PD-M737 or SHIMANO XT bear paws (not decided yet)

18.) Headset: 1 1/4" SHIMANO Deore XTR HS-M900 (already in the drawer)

19.) Cables: SHIMANO XTR M900 grey (already in the drawer)

20.) Cassette: SHIMANO XTR CS-M900 (already in the drawer)

21.) Chain: SHIMANO HG standard (already in the drawer)

22.) Everything else: 2x Ringle H2O purple bottle cages (1 already in the drawer)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the first pics of the project bike:

1993 Marin Team Issue Shimano Deore XTR M900 MTB bike restoration project image picture examp...jpeg

1993 Marin Team Issue Shimano Deore XTR M900 MTB bike restoration project image picture examp...jpeg

So during the last 2 weeks I built a special flightcase for extra safe shipping! I assume, the crack in my frame set was caused by shipping or temperature changes. Lets hope, my boxing will send it to Dan Chambers very securely without any issues at all!

I really hope that it will not crack again in the future. I am very aware of the huge fragility of the Manitou FS bikes. They are so prone to cracking in the BB shells, the steerer tubes or the weldings in genral - I know all that very well! This build is more for fun and to display. Not to ride in in the woods. I am too heavy for it anyways :) I am a quite fit and sporty guy - still, I weigh 215 pounds.

Reactions: al
Thats all for now! ... Dan and I agreed on finishing this frame set and the replacement of the top tube until the first week of September 2021.

To be continued!

Well I build professional flightcases, so I made this out of scrap parts real quick so to say. That was easy :)

Update: This project has been abandoned. The frame has been sold! Its out of my hands and this thread is dead, Im sorry :) See you at the next one! Cheers!

I have to say that Dan Chambers did a terrific job on replacing the top tube! I decided not to build up any Manitous or Yetis anymore. Too many cracks, too much hassle, too much senseless money spent :-D

Reactions: al
Back