1991 Scott Evolution Pro

spatuluk

Saracen Fan
Feedback
View
As is often the case; what began as a search for 26" wheels has turned into something rather more complicated. :rolleyes:

I seem to have ended up with this:

Good bits
e-stay!! (counts for a lot)
It hasn't snapped (yet)
No stuck seatpost or BB

Aaaand, issues...
The headset does NOT want to let go, and it's massive! I need to buy another big spanner, and then a new upper body to use it.

The paintwork is shot. I think it goes a bit beyond patina.

Interesting to see that the transtion lines aren't paint at all, and paint fade means the reds don't match anymore.

Should be fun fitting the BB with these threads.

Some big chunks of rust fell out of the frame. :oops:

It's not a Saracen Kili

I don't really have any components that I can use on this frame, so I need to acquire some more black LX from somewhere.
It seems like a real shame, considering how nice the paint looks when you see it from about 20ft away, but a powder coat is probably in order. It should solve the paintwork and rust at the same time, and I dunno if they zap the BB threads during the sandblasting, but that might help.

This could be a slow project.. first thing on my list is to get the fork off, then I guess I'd better decide on a colour.

These are superb, my pal rode one back in the day, I think the frame is actually a tad lighter than the alloy Super evo one too

i ust admit; I'm in two minds about the respray. if I'm gonna respray anything, it should be my Lynx or MF.

plus, i bought this frame for blasting through forests, and that's no place for pristine paint (especially with my lack of skill)

So, the saved-from-a-skip look, it is! :p

The frame's in the garage, having a nice sip of penetrating oil. I also got a photo of the chunk of rust that fell out. I'll be consulting the guide on frame preservation, I reckon!

(that's about 10mm wide, 7mm deep, and 4mm tall)

Last edited:
I had a sneaky tug during my lunchbreak, and it came off! 😀 I had visions of having to attack it with an angle grinder. 😧

I'm not surprised the fork was grinding; the bearings were completely dry, without even sludge to get between the bearings and metal. A nice little pile of rust particles came out, including another chunk as big as the one above. The frame's not rattling much anymore, apart from something stuck in the stays that may never come out.

I can now move onto the next stage, which is attacking the exposed areas with tin foil on a coat hanger, followed by filling the frame up with Kurust. I don't think the 20ml of Kurust that I have will quite do the frame, so I need to go shopping. I might also need some wire, as we've only got wood or plastic hangers, and I don't think that's what the guide meant. 😛

I dunno if you can tell the difference, but things are looking better in the bb shell:

It sat in white vinegar for two days, which did loosen up some of the rust, but there's still some to go, and I'm not sure if the lumps in the threads are actually rust. I might go over them with a Dremel disc, once I've given it a bath in evaporust, once I've bought some, once I've been paid. *sigh*

I've got all the rust proofing stuff ready, at least. :)

Back