1990 Stumpjumper resurrection

Paulk964

Retro Newbie
It's taken a while to get this build started, but finally I've made the time to begin the resurrection of a once very lovely 1990 Stumpjumper.

I picked up the frame and forks in very used condition about 18 months ago. I don't know anything of this particular frame's history, but it has evidently done some miles on the trails, with a fair collection of minor scuffs, scrapes and a few tiny bubbles of surface rust here any there. However, there's not a single dent on it and everything is straight and true.

BITD a friend brought himself a brand new 1991 Stumpjumper Team in dark blue with yellow stickers and XC Pro throughout, which I always thought was such an amazing bike that looked fantastic. I always wanted one, but secondhand ones eluded me. I saw 'my' 1990 Stumpjumper frame and forks for sale and couldn't resist the chance to use it as the base for a build of something at least close to the Team spec - even though the 'base' Stumpie that year had a Deore DX groupset.

It's sad in a way that you see great bikes stripped to their component parts and sold off in bits, but then that also generates the chance to create new builds and to bring stripped frames back to life. I paid the same as about 20 coffees for the frame - pretty good value I think for the start of a new fast light machine which will take me off road, on road and cruising around the city with a grin on my face!

I thought it was black in the photos before I bought it, but the patina of 30 years of service had dimmed the kind of dark plum metallic pearl colour which lay underneath. It has red flecks in it in the sunlight and after some decent elbow grease and some Autoglym polish it has started to look pretty nice and gleams in the sunlight.

I've been gradually collecting parts for it, aiming for XC Pro, but having to make some compromises here and there due to the rarity and cost being asked for some parts. I'll do a spec list as the build progresses, but parts so far have come from Italy, Germany, UK and USA. A recent move to Australia has meant the wheels have been built near Sydney!

What I'm struggling to find is a front mech, ideally XC Pro, but a good XC Comp will do - 28.6mm dia. At the moment, my parts box has an M735 XT I could use for the time being, but longer term it just won't do.

I'm also struggling to identify the correct diameter of seatpost. I thought it should have a 26.8mm but I tried one in the seat tube and it's too tight to fit. I tried measuring it with a caliper, but get a different answer every time. Possibly a 26.5?? If anyone can tell me definitively what size it should have, I'd be grateful. If someone then has a decent black seatpost in the right size, or even better still an XC Pro seatpost - I'd be pleased to hear. Thanks in advance!

I few pics below of where it started and I have now got to. More updates soon!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 1,048
I don´t like too much specialized, but this one is quite nice. That colours reminds me Miamy Vice and the 80´s. And this advert. Very nice colours. :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5azV-xrHM[/youtube]

corrupcion-miami-vice-dvd-serie-sinopsis.jpg

Re:

Thanks very much G60MAT and madjh for the kind words and encouragement. The stickers definitely have a late-80s vibe, but I guess that's what partly gives old frames their character and attraction. There's a little too much matt black going on out there with new frames right now!

Thanks also for the catalogue link. It's always good to see the original spec. Now to track down a seatpost. Seeing the catalogue pic also makes me want to get my hands on some decent amber wall Ground Control or even Hard Pack tyres... I'm struggling to even find any good new 26 inch amber wall tyres of any type - apart from a Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo, which wouldn't be too bad. If only I had a DeLorean with a flux capacitor, I could pop back in time and pick up lots of the everyday spares but also the lovely parts we all used to lust after in the decent local bike shops!

Re: Re:

Paulk964":2a64r7el said:
Thanks very much G60MAT and madjh for the kind words and encouragement. The stickers definitely have a late-80s vibe, but I guess that's what partly gives old frames their character and attraction. There's a little too much matt black going on out there with new frames right now!

Thanks also for the catalogue link. It's always good to see the original spec. Now to track down a seatpost. Seeing the catalogue pic also makes me want to get my hands on some decent amber wall Ground Control or even Hard Pack tyres... I'm struggling to even find any good new 26 inch amber wall tyres of any type - apart from a Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo, which wouldn't be too bad. If only I had a DeLorean with a flux capacitor, I could pop back in time and pick up lots of the everyday spares but also the lovely parts we all used to lust after in the decent local bike shops!

If you get the Delorean working, can you pick up a load of parts for me too! :LOL:

Even today you can get what ever you want. It is all about patience. I have find a new Element 70 frame after 10 years of search of my unicorn ... and now I ´m close to finish my dream bicycle, not an old school mtb but for me is much better because it rides surprisingly well, smooth and fast.

Take your time and make your dream real. :D

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. It's definitely a game of patience, savouring the build and getting it just-so - but of course balanced against a keenness to get the bike finished and that first test-ride to see whether it is as good as you hoped it would be! Off now to see if I can get that DeLorean started...!

Re:

Lovely. Back when they made bikes properly. I confess I have a thing for the military green of the 94 Stumpy too.

Man I'm glad I found this thread THE DAY I SIGNED UP to RetroBike...!! :D

I have the EXACT same bike and I'm about to part out a few things. I picked it up a month or so ago from the previous single owner and it is pristine...(I also picked up a '88 HardRock on the same trip, also pristine)

So, I was actually trying to track down some new brake levers for this one because the previous owner had turned it into a gravel grinder and put drops on it...I don't hate them but I'm not a huge fan...I want to take it back to cool '90's MTB.

I have a box of components that came off it and I MIGHT have an extra set of handlebars and such...I saw a derailleur in there, but haven't looked at them hard...been too busy riding. It had Shimano Deore on it for sure...

Here is mine.

Since this is my first post I'll try and post my pic. Let's keep in touch and trade ideas...I also have a '85 Stumpy inbound as we speak.

V

Attachments

• IMG_9421.JPG
    IMG_9421.JPG
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 804
Back