1990 Muddy Fox Courier Mega rebuild

briff

Retro Newbie
New to this site, but stumbled upon it while I was rebuilding my bike. Enjoyed seeing a few other 'passion-projects'!
I think there have been a few other examples, but I have been rebuilding my 1990 Muddy Fox Courier Mega.Tried to keep it original in so much as each part is either same brand and type as original or close replacement. The exception is the saddle, I just bought one I liked the look of.

No work done to the frame other than stripping down and cleaning, but no touch up or paint, as wanted all the original 'history' of scrapes and falls 'documented'. Bar ends are the same that were put on BITD so kept them, especially as it meant I kept the original grips that were cut down at the time the ends were put on.
Original rims long gone, so purchased 90's era Araya rims.
Brakes and shifters, replaced the missing and/or seized Exage shifters with new matching Deore LX shifters
Deore LX Cantilever brake calipers to replace missing original Exage
Original front derailleur
Rear derailleur replaced at some point with an Alivio. Replacement original Exage (still in packaging) on order
New tyres, gone a little wider than original cause I like how it looks, but tread pattern is a design from the 90's

Pics to follow...

Re:

I forgot to take any pre-rebuild pics but I have this one as I started stripping everything down

Attachments

• MFJ1.jpg
    MFJ1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 717
Re:

I did get some pics of the parts that had been stuck on the bike over the years. They are not pretty...

Attachments

• MF2.jpg
    MF2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 714
  • MFJ3.jpg
    MFJ3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 714
  • MFJ4.jpg
    MFJ4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 714
  • MFJ5.jpg
    MFJ5.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 714
  • MFJ6.jpg
    MFJ6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 714
Re:

Here's what I scrounged from eBay to replace them with, plus I found some original era Araya rims too

Attachments

• MFJ11.jpg
    MFJ11.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 687
  • p.jpg
    p.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 687
  • pe.jpg
    pe.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 687
  • MFJ10.jpg
    MFJ10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 687
Re:

This is a pic I had as I neared completion, will take some pics of the finished item later

Attachments

• MFJ20.jpg
    MFJ20.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 657
Re:

Finished product, minus some tuning and another polish. Thinking I probably should have gone with the black saddle...had thought the brown would look good with the yellow, but not sure. Maybe it'll darken up

Attachments

• MFC5.jpg
    MFC5.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 589
  • MFC6.jpg
    MFC6.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 589
  • MFC7.jpg
    MFC7.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 589
  • MFC4.jpg
    MFC4.jpg