1990 Klein Attitude Flare

Just had another look at the tyres as i was thinking about period correctness earlier (procrastinating in other words) and i think youre right as are these tyres? I looked again, actually the front tyres is a Ground Control II S, the rear is a Ground Master S, and looking at the 1990 catalogue theyre listed as Ground Control S. So i think these ones are period correct? Would be interested to hear if yes/no as i dont know much about the different variations on Specialized tyres. Cheers
I've looked into this at some length myself. Original tyres were 'yellow label' Ground Control S, all other Klein models had the standard Ground Control (S was bendy kevlar model).
I searched for years for the correct tyres and although I managed to secure two sets of yellow label GC's they were not the S model and this perplexed me somewhat. The only S set I found was an old advert on an obscure German site who wanted I recall about 7 or 800 pounds.o_O
The search continued and continued...I just happened to check US eBay one day and there it was, a boxed single. Do I buy it with another one very unlikely to ever come up?? If I don't and another comes up I'd actually kick myself in the balls I think...I bought it, it wasn't cheap.
BUGGER ME, the very next day another boxed S comes up in London and they knew exactly what they had...I bought it, it really really wasn't cheap.
So, after me rattling on for longer than I thought possible, what I should have simply said was they are out there, but I wouldn't hold your breath (even for the standard yellow label GC's) for fear of certain asphyxiation.

Here’s the slight different tread pattern on the ‘S’ version @Tomianson

ACF1BE43-E4C3-4545-A0C2-7526938F531C.jpeg

I've looked into this at some length myself. Original tyres were 'yellow label' Ground Control S, all other Klein models had the standard Ground Control (S was bendy kevlar model).
I searched for years for the correct tyres and although I managed to secure two sets of yellow label GC's they were not the S model and this perplexed me somewhat. The only S set I found was an old advert on an obscure German site who wanted I recall about 7 or 800 pounds.o_O
The search continued and continued...I just happened to check US eBay one day and there it was, a boxed single. Do I buy it with another one very unlikely to ever come up?? If I don't and another comes up I'd actually kick myself in the balls I think...I bought it, it wasn't cheap.
BUGGER ME, the very next day another boxed S comes up in London and they knew exactly what they had...I bought it, it really really wasn't cheap.
So, after me rattling on for longer than I thought possible, what I should have simply said was they are out there, but I wouldn't hold your breath (even for the standard yellow label GC's) for fear of certain asphyxiation.
Thanks Hotwheels, thats really handy information to have. I better start hunting. Although this is to be a rider bike so i may just sit it on smoke/dart for general usage. Until i build another rider, then i can sit it on the proper tyres.

Everyone knows that I don't love them, but holy hell that's nice one!

Congrats mate.

And Boy O's is pretty special, too.

Stop talking about the tires! Are u mad?
The valve is all crooked and all you talk about are the tires??
Do you have no shame?
I'm disgusted. Appalling! You ruined my youth! How dare you!

(Seriously pretty bike. I'm impressed. And a little jealous. :D )

Last edited:
Back