1990 Klein Attitude Flare

I'd like to see it with either period correct (for the right look) or modern tyres (for worry free riding). Tyres that are just a few years older than the bike seems to be the worst of both worlds, iykwim?
Just had another look at the tyres as i was thinking about period correctness earlier (procrastinating in other words) and i think youre right as are these tyres? I looked again, actually the front tyres is a Ground Control II S, the rear is a Ground Master S, and looking at the 1990 catalogue theyre listed as Ground Control S. So i think these ones are period correct? Would be interested to hear if yes/no as i dont know much about the different variations on Specialized tyres. Cheers

The early Ground Controls have a very different tread pattern. Yours are more mid-late 90's

This is the original Ground Control Tread Tom

GC tread.jpg

Here's my recently finished 1990 Klein Attitude Flare

One of the earlier Attitudes (the serial number says this is the 63rd Attitude). You can tell its early by the d
Very Nice!
Out of all your excellent Klein builds...this is my Favourite in your collection!
The Red Flare against the black is a perfect combination....and with the box crown too = perfection.

Didn't know that about the down tube exit points of the cable marking it out as an early one.
My Dolomite has the same. Serial # BAT62A
Does this mean it's the one before yours or is it not as straight forward as that and has the be deciphered?

Great build as always. 😎😎

boy"O"boy

Very Nice!
Out of all your excellent Klein builds...this is my Favourite in your collection!
The Red Flare against the black is a perfect combination....and with the box crown too = perfection.

Didn't know that about the down tube exit points of the cable marking it out as an early one.
My Dolomite has the same. Serial # BAT62A
Does this mean it's the one before yours or is it not as straight forward as that and has the be deciphered?

Great build as always. 😎😎

boy"O"boy
Cheers sir that’s really kind. I’m pretty pleased with it myself I must say. Just need to sort the tyres.

The down tube cable entry points signify very early. I just did a quick hexadecimal decipher of yours, it’s number 1578. So not quite as early as mine but still an early one.
Pictures if you get a moment?
A16ED331-816E-4719-9D2C-A02E441148E4.png

Cheers sir that’s really kind. I’m pretty pleased with it myself I must say. Just need to sort the tyres.

The down tube cable entry points signify very early. I just did a quick hexadecimal decipher of yours, it’s number 1578. So not quite as early as mine but still an early one.
Pictures if you get a moment?
View attachment 607901
Thanks for that Tom.
I've always wanted to know what the numbers meant. Having had a look at the Klein serial numbers thread, I had an idea that because the actual stamped number was low, it didn't necessarily mean the frame was early.
Having confirmed an actual number for me is spot - on. 👍🏻
I'll add a pic of mine ....on 2nd glance, the cable entries are in the middle, not the top - but that's a great detail I didn't know about to spot an early one. Suppose the "B" part of the serial number on mine signifies it's 2nd gen?
20210602_194055.jpg

Personally, I like the Amberwalls on an early Klein. The specialized Ground controls on your Red Flare suit it really well.
If you went period, Panaracer, Tioga, Onza or Specialized would be your go to choices?

Keep up the good work.

boy"O"boy

I love this build. Period. That RED is stunning. Components are perfect. I would only trade those 1.95(eeek!) for the fattest tires i could fit there. Ideally Klein tires but those cost a fortune if you find it. A stiff and light frame goes well w/ cushy fluffy fat rubber.

I love this build. Period. That RED is stunning. Components are perfect. I would only trade those 1.95(eeek!) for the fattest tires i could fit there. Ideally Klein tires but those cost a fortune if you find it. A stiff and light frame goes well w/ cushy fluffy fat rubber.
Cheers v much. i am looking for some 2.1" tyres, when i find them they'll go on it. I'd like to keep my teeth and back intact!!. Interestingly i have had another early klein with box crown fork, it came with some fat 2.35 death grip tyres, but there were real clearance issues. i dont think these early ones were made for any bigger than 2.1 and the Deathgrips didnt come out until a few years later as far as i know.

Back