1990 Jack Taylor Tourist Tandem #8638 FINISHED pg7

Uh oh indeed….

Well I tried painstakingly cutting two slots either side but nope…

So then over to the acid, which had a go but couldn’t get all of it before I’d run out.

It’s the weekend, I’m taking it to see Uncle Arthur (Caygill) on Monday, I need it sorting.

Ok let’s drill…😬

3204A7AF-E76D-4B1B-BE43-DAFF0BF78894.jpeg E5B40F8D-0670-4F64-9F62-498D1F767FC3.jpeg 7756EA96-0BB9-48F6-8314-171CCFE3EA6C.jpeg

Spent a little while getting the rest of the frame ready for it’s trip to AC’s
Rack almost came off, one stubborn screw died in the process. Quick file off of the remaining head and a blast with the heat gun and I managed to get it out from the other side using grips. Phew..
Found another cracked weld, this time on the stokers post clamp, over tightening from 27 (I think) down to a 25.4 post wearing a 26.4 shim.
Not sure this is much of a problem though as I think this whole tube has got to be replaced.
After cleaning the rest of frame I thought I’d found yet another in the captains tube up top. But this proved to be more of a bulge that had cracked the paint, just about at the same place the end of the very short captains seatpost would be.
Hey ho, all part of the fun.
Oh and a quick weigh-in for the frame. 11lb 13oz

1530F17F-863F-4520-896C-88633B9A3575.jpeg 8D3A9E8B-06E6-4F43-99DA-9BC8FB91B9B9.jpeg A5707ADF-77C5-415D-BD6C-B8E2C2A7D0B9.jpeg A011DDC2-1FA0-44DB-9A3A-5885EDFAB9F8.jpeg 5F524E08-4E69-481C-A8D9-0D5851BA0851.jpeg

Popped in to see Arthur Caygill, spent a pleasant hour or so as he gave me & @Our Jimmy a tour of the workshop & facilities. Lots of old tall tales told. 😃
Very happy with the plan (main item being a completely replaced stoker tube) but also refitting of the original clamps, pump pegs to be removed, old style coaster brake tabs to be removed and new cable tunnels under the BB. Also a rear brace adding to the near side stays and a disc brake mount as this is a bike I hope we can tour on with loaded bags.
Here’s a shot of their jig, zoom in and check out the fittings in the racks… loverly. 38CCFE62-8D22-492A-AC06-C66FDEE352DF.jpeg E4D31CA2-0C5A-4BA0-BD47-FDA917BE0845.jpeg

Last edited:
Well... where do I start?
I received a call from Steve the frame builder at Arthur Caygill's yesterday and we went through all the problems he had subsequently found on the JT...:(
So here's the new complete list :rolleyes:

1. Stem seized in the forks, now sorted by cutting then acid and reaming out remains.
2. Seized bolt in rack mount/eye, sorted.
3. Rear seat tube split near base, needs complete replacement tube.
4. Cracked brazed-on rear seat clamp, both halves would need to be removed and reused on new tube.
5. Stress crack at junction of top tube and front seat tube, it can be re-brazed if tube not replaced.
6. Bulge to the rear of the front seat tube approx 70mm from the top, both 5 & 6 likely caused by the very short & inadequate seatpost found here which obviously needs to support both the captain and the handlebars for the stoker.
7. Old seatpost rammed down probably as far as where the butting stops inside the front seat tube as there are now stress cracks at the BB joint. (This would be the reason for the short seatpost!o_O) It might be possible to remove an aluminium one but this is steel so it might be more efficient/cost effective to replace the front tube (also resolving the bulge)
8. Rear spacing has been cold adjusted from a likely 135mm to now 145mm, but most of the movement has been in the drive side chainstay most likely weakened by the extensive chain rub damage, this needs replacing.

Butcher's bill? Well if you include a proper spray job, then nearly three times the initial outlay for the bike.:eek:

Next steps? Well, I've made an estimate of around £100 potentially recouped from harvesting the various parts and pushing them on and the chap I bought it from has given me a partial refund so we're both sharing the cash hit about 50/50. I don't suppose he's going to have much joy with the previous owner, but he's going to try.

As for the frame? Well I still think it's an opportunity to have a large JT Tandem just how I want it, I just don't think I can't afford to do it this side of Christmas.😢

Faults.jpg

Back