1987 Richey Ascent Homecoming

Oh and I'm glad you kept the Mojo hanger. A nice throw back to its original form!
Yes, the Mojo hanger is nice to still have, was Turquoise originally, so were my chainrings and a Ringle bottle cage (which I don't have anymore) not sure why I thought blue accents suited it back then (with the same red & black it has now) but was my effort to jump on the anodization bandwagon of the early 90s 😂

Nice build, love the red and black with yellow decals . Velocals has been great to me as well and done some custom decals on my Ritchey Ultra. Great story but even better ending 👍🏻
Thanks Watchman123, I know your Ultra build very well. Watching that one unfold had me wishing I still had the Ascent and definitely an inspiration for efforts made once back in my stable 👍

Thanks! Yes, I belong to weight weenies anonymous :LOL:, This Ritchey will be my heaviest vintage MTB but I don't care. That repro Turbo saddle ain't light. For this build I wanted to be more period correct than I usually care about, the Ritchey Logic brake levers are too new but they are Ritchey branded so had to through them on :cool:
Build is great. Hard to keep things 100% period correct without waiting ages to find parts of spending a fortune. OR both! Love the look of 80s MTB's although when I was younger I was obviously more focused on having the latest thing, but now I'm older (but no wiser) I can appreciate these things second time around. 310g for a saddle isn't too bad, yes a Flite (or similar) would knock over a 100g off, but it would just look wrong. Thanks for sharing great photos and great detail 👏 👍

Well, time for an update. The rusty stem arrived last week on Thursday followed by a lick of paint :cool: and I had it ridable within a couple days. I was hoping for a proper test ride but we are having uncharacteristically cold weather in Burnaby along with a big snow dump last night.

I managed to get out on fairly clear side roads in the neighborhood to prove shifting and braking are tuned to my liking, a proper ride will need to wait a few weeks I expect. Kinda nice to snap some photos in the white stuff. Keen eyes might notice the tiny ARAYA rim decals, I ordered the wrong ones (20" rim) but since got the correct ones ordered, should come any day now.

I had to order a new FD, The M732 was very loosey goosey in the linkage and the bottom pull cable tension had the cage pulled very near the chainring teeth, I nabbed a slightly dinged (now touched up) M735 for $40CAD off eBay, basically NOS, looks like there are still five left, pretty good deal.

Sure felt good riding this old friend again :)

20211225_203903100_iOS.jpg
20211225_203919311_iOS.jpg
20211225_203929752_iOS.jpg
20211225_203936724_iOS.jpg
20211225_203944663_iOS.jpg

20211225_203951434_iOS.jpg
20211225_203958839_iOS.jpg
20211230_182522792_iOS.jpg

Very nice :cool: wish we had snow here instead of the rain, look forward to seeing it out.

Well, time for an update. The rusty stem arrived last week on Thursday followed by a lick of paint :cool: and I had it ridable within a couple days. I was hoping for a proper test ride but we are having uncharacteristically cold weather in Burnaby along with a big snow dump last night.

I managed to get out on fairly clear side roads in the neighborhood to prove shifting and braking are tuned to my liking, a proper ride will need to wait a few weeks I expect. Kinda nice to snap some photos in the white stuff. Keen eyes might notice the tiny ARAYA rim decals, I ordered the wrong ones (20" rim) but since got the correct ones ordered, should come any day now.

I had to order a new FD, The M732 was very loosey goosey in the linkage and the bottom pull cable tension had the cage pulled very near the chainring teeth, I nabbed a slightly dinged (now touched up) M735 for $40CAD off eBay, basically NOS, looks like there are still five left, pretty good deal.

Sure felt good riding this old friend again :)

View attachment 592331
View attachment 592332
View attachment 592333
View attachment 592334
View attachment 592335

View attachment 592336
View attachment 592337
View attachment 592338
Damn… bike gorgeous! Love it, well done!

Back