1987 Mountain Klein article/review

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Tom Walz review of the Series I Mountain Klein, taken from an issue of the magazine 'Bicycle Guide'.

Interesting in that is was written long before Klein mtb's had gone truly mainstream, the writer is clearly sceptical about some of the innovations on display. Within a couple of years Klein bikes bearing many of these innovations (or refinements of them) were among the most coveted mountain bikes available.

CultMTB Mountain Klein 1987  1.jpg CultMTB Mountain Klein 1987 2.jpg CultMTB Mountain Klein 1987 3.jpg CultMTB Mountain Klein 1987 4.jpg

I put this shot on here also, as the article reveals the mystery hub this bike has: It´s a Hi-E. Even laced in radial pattern. As the article alludes the tested bike is one of the first Mountain Kleins, what year is the magazine from?

IMG_0140_2.JPG

I believe 1989, but I'm only basing that on the fact that there's no u-brake and 1989 was the last year Mountains were made. Your pic looks like an 88 because front canti and rear u brake. Pure speculation though

Mine has U brakes front and rear which probably makes it an 86, according to this wiki, which openly states there are large gaps in the data, they skipped making Mountains in 87, although I have found a couple here and there listed as 87's, perhaps 86's sold in 87?

Back