1985 Claud Butler Canyon Deore Deerhead XT & 600EX FINISHED

Re: 1984 Claud Butler Canyon. #H130008

I've been looking for the final piece of the jigsaw for my Canyon, namely a D.I.D. Lanner "Blue" chain... (not actually blue, just the colour of the box) but the few NOS I’d found were £40-£50. :shock:

So when I stumbled across a D.I.D. “chrome” for £22 I jumped at it….. not sure when it’s gonna arrive, but I think it should sit nicely with my plan… :cool: . s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Terrible chain choice!

It will shift clackitty compared to the most basic contemporary 'narrow' chain

It will very likely be too wide for the sprocket gap.

legrandefromage":2sikrxka said:
Terrible chain choice!

It will shift clackitty compared to the most basic contemporary 'narrow' chain

It will very likely be too wide for the sprocket gap.

Ah... you see, if I was an arse who didn’t know what I was looking for then maybe I’d agree with you ;) ;)

legrandefromage":u97eph0o said:
Sorry, dont understand, you're fitting an unsuitable chain on purpose?

How do you know what 5 speed freewheel I’m using?

legrandefromage":2rqccnbb said:
It will still be yak

Yak!

YAK I TELLS YE!!

But it will look pretty.. :LOL:

Just in case anyone was wondering what that ^^^^ was all about….. :roll: here’s a brief explanation;

From the late 70’s and through to their demise in 1985, Holdsworth used D.I.D. lanner ½” x 1/32 chains on all their touring bikes, sometimes the ‘blue’ sometimes the ‘gold’ or even the ‘chrome’. (That’s on hundreds of thousands of bikes BTW)
These were initially matched to Italian 5 speed Regina freewheels, and then about 81/82 this got changed to the then popular Suntour freewheels (mainly the “perfect” model) if any of you ever had an 80’s touring Holdsworth or Claud Butler you would most likely have ridden with this combo or at the very least removed one and thrown it away. In 1984/85 Claud Butler used the very same combo on their first ATB the Canyon.
Now, could I fit a better near period correct Shimano with a better chain? Yes, but what for? It would just make me “twitch” every time I looked at it. :?
The D.I.D. chain might not be the best and of course it’s been superseded. But that does not make it “unsuitable” for this build and of course will fit the Suntour 5 speed ‘Perfect’ freewheel that I currently have soaking in an oil bath waiting for my magic touch like a glove :cool: .

Anyway.. best get on with cleaning this lot….. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpg
    IMG_4947.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • CoverR85.jpg
    CoverR85.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 137

Peachy!":1su94vbi said:
Just in case anyone was wondering what that ^^^^ was all about….. :roll: here’s a brief explanation

This explained it good enough for me... ;)
Peachy!":1su94vbi said:
Ah... you see, if I was an arse who didn’t know what I was looking for then maybe I’d agree with you ;) ;)

I was cautious about commenting as I've never had a bike with less than seven gears (at least one that I bought myself) but was aware that 6sp or less speeds take an old fashioned standard of chain that was fatter.
however since this build harks from the 1980's I couldn't see a problem, and personally if the chain sparkles like Chrome when clean it'll be worth whatever trade off it comes with (if there is any)

Those brake levers are like you'd find on a 1970's trials/Scrambler - a friend had a set Leachy levers which were very similar on his an early Muddy Fox

Back