Claud Butler Cape Wrath History Timeline 1987-1997

JaguarJeff":id54aeg8 said:
Hi

Do you have any of these frame sets left?
Cheers Jeff

Left? :? Do you mean to collect? Then yes, 1987, 93 & 95 and I can die happy.

Re: Re:

JaguarJeff":sh8m1yrj said:
Hi
Sorry I thought you were selling them.
Thanks for getting back to me
Jeff

No worries Jeff...

MR OX":sh8m1yrj said:
Great read :cool:

Cheers Ox, still a work in progress

Re: Claud Butler Cape Wrath Timeline 1987-1997

We don’t have the 1993 catalogue to refer to, apart from a scan of the Antaeus, but this at least tells us that the graphics have now completely changed. The Cape is still the top of the range steel model, and only in black, not sure if it appeared in 653 and I don’t know what group set or if it had adopted the new Ahead stem.

Distinguishing frame details;
New graphics and only in black

We don’t have the 1993 catalogue to refer to, apart from a scan of the Antaeus, but this at least tells us that the graphics have now completely changed. The Cape is still the top of the range steel model, and only in black, not sure if it appeared in 653 and I don’t know what group set or if it had adopted the new Ahead stem.

20210520_072558.jpg

Excuse the rough photo, but here is your missing link - a 1993 picked up earlier this week! Your thread was a really great help in identifying this - it seems the frame is identical to the 94. Distinguishing frame details include the distinctive 'triangle' top tube braze ons and the same thick seat tube. Not sure why I came across this resplendent in glorious period-correct Altus though..

Last edited:
View attachment 543337

Excuse the rough photo, but here is your missing link - a 1993 picked up earlier this week! Your thread was a really great help in identifying this - it seems the frame is identical to the 94. Distinguishing frame details include the distinctive 'triangle' top tube braze ons and the same thick seat tube. Not sure why I came across this resplendent in glorious period-correct Altus though..
Excellent, thank you. So it looks like the frame I had dressed up in my attempt at the 94 foil graphic version is likely to be a 93 after all. Strange about the group, I’d have thought it would have been LX as per the 94? Any date codes on the Altus?

I think I’m right in saying the Altus groups were around in 1993 but it does seem unlikely these were original to this frame set doesn’t it?
And can I ask are the graphics foil or white?

I think I’m right in saying the Altus groups were around in 1993 but it does seem unlikely these were original to this frame set doesn’t it?
And can I ask are the graphics foil
Certainly does - really odd that they happen to be the right year. It seems to have been an old boy's neighbourhood cruiser since around 95. He said he'd bought it that way and I believe him - he didn't know what he had & it was a steal. Couldn't see the drive side on the ad so was slightly disappointed, but it's seen very little use for sure. I thought it might be a decal swap, but I don't think so - they're foil and look authentic. Plus that would have been very difficult in 95 I think! Maybe a bike shop special? I've seen these frames used on low end bikes from later that don't appear in catalogues at all.

I recently found another Steel Cape advertised on eBay, this one is another CroMo Steel job, with all details exactly like the ill fated 1997 version, but sporting the graphics from circa 1999-2001. They seem original and lacquered over, so I'm guessing these were just some re-badged old stock? Question is, do I bid on it?
Anyway, here's some photo's just for the sake of archiving them;
CapeWrath1998-9 (6).jpg CapeWrath1998-9 (1).jpg CapeWrath1998-9 (3).jpg

Latest posts

Back