1985-86 Fillet Brazed Gary Fisher Mt. Tam

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
We get two days of sun and +10 degree temps in Toronto and I got all pumped.

This is a bit of a project. It's a 1985-86 (#95) Gary Fisher Mt. Tam. I am not entirely sure who was building for Gary at this time (post '83 Ritchey split). This doesn't have the TT or TET marking of Tom Teesdale, but it's more "likely" one of his early builds. Tom's son has often explained that Gary wouldn't let Tom put his TET stamp on the early ones, but later allowed it so Tom would know which frames were his for warranty purposes. Gary still wanted a ritchey-like design for the early breakaway bikes and you can see that here. Teesdale would later have some design influence as I understand. Anyway, it's an early one. I have never had a Fisher, and, though I know he is sort of a polarizing character in the hobby, I think it's a pretty cool piece.

A bit of work as you can see. I think the original colour was a harley burgundy shade, which I stole for my 85 Goat ... I probably need something different here ...

Re:

Nice!

Puling up a chair for this one. Always liked the two tone blue fade on Mt Tam frames. Look forward to seeing what you decide on

Mike

Great project. I look forward to seeing it finished. I don't think I could find parts for a bike that old around here. I'm excited to see what you do with it.

It will probably get a pretty standard deerhead group. I scored a pretty awesome stem for it that should be here shortly.

I am not sure about what colour(s) to do just yet. I want to strip the paint and get a good look at the metal before I do anything. There's a thick coat of crappy red paint over a not so standard original colour I believe. Maybe that will give me some ideas.

c1985/6 Teesdale Brazed roller stem. These were usually found on the Fisher Comps of the mid 80s. Nice peice for this build ... probably one of the rarer stems around. Time to pick a colour ... hmmmm.

Re:

Picked a colour ... going just a bit custom with this ride. Classic colour for an 80s mtb though :)

Re:

Slow progress these days on everything with the little one.

I finally got a headset in this thing and mocked it up. It's going to be a more of a trekking type/around towner bike for next year so it will be all c1985 parts with a few modern touches with the seat, grips, and [soon] tires/racks. I'll probably swap that copper railed brooks out ... looks pretty but I am not sure the copper goes.

Latest posts

Back