1982 Holdsworth Special, at least it started that way...

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
Having admitted to myself that my Ribble winter bike was really too small, but wanting to keep the modern 105 groupset and other parts, I figured I'd attempt my first restomod. Eventually I found a Holdsworth locally for the frame donor, which seemed to fit the bill. It turned out to be the epitome of a parts bin build, with mismatched wheels, brakes, and cranks - plus a weird arrangement with MTB shifters on the middle of the bars. Good thing it was going to be stripped down, I suppose. The frame also had the wrong decals, and a home printed 531 decal which was about 4 times bigger than it should be.

Thankfully, it was actually a Holdsworth, though, and a bit of Googling told me it's a Special (cable guides on the top of the bottom bracket were the giveaway).

This is how it looked:

holdsworth-as-bought.jpg

I'm going to get the frame powder coated, as my aim is to have a winter bike that actually lasts, which my previous ones have not so well for various reasons – the last steel one I used which had a regular spray paint job got pretty badly rusty despite having full mudguards and me wiping it down after every ride. I think I've finally learnt to not get ahead of myself with this sort of thing, so I figured I'll build it up first, see how it rides, and then get the powder coating done once I'm definitely happy with it – hence starting a winter bike build in the middle of summer.

After a strip-down, this is how it looks with the parts swapped over, plus the headset and quill adapter that came with the bike (at some point I will probably use a quill stem instead when I source a black one plus new bars) – obviously it's not properly cabled up yet – I need to get some new outer cables first. I also need to add the mudguards to check the clearances with the brakes.

IMG_6346.JPG

One question is, which colour is this going to end up being? I did a bit of testing with a mock-up in Photoshop, and I think I've settled on a dark blue metallic, which ideally would look like this once decals are added (and a black headset is used):

holdsworth-mock-up.png

The powdercoaters said they can do a frame and fork in any RAL colour for £100, so I'm hoping to get somewhere close to this colour, but obviously it's hard to tell without seeing the metallic colours in person. I guess I'll go and see what comes closest when I drop it off. Also I've not used them before, so fingers crossed they do a good job.

Anyway, first I need to get this properly built to see how it rides...

Hello SJC,

First post on here.

H Lloyds can help you out with decals I reckon. https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com

On their website they caution against powder coating as decals and clear coats struggle to stick to powder coats.

Depends where you are but I have a frame with Mario at Varonha Cycles in Hither Green (South London) https://www.varonha.co.uk/renovations/. His brother makes frames (he worked for Roberts for ages as did Mario I think), and Mario sprays frames. Mario’s work is lovely and he’s a really nice chap, and really well priced. For a single colour he charges around £130.

Cheers,

Rob

The Ribble looks smashing.

Just read the point about powder coating on H Lloyds when I was deciding how to have my frame painted. I’ve got no experience of powder coating though! Your Ribble looks wicked!

Here you are @Raratch2
A thread I posted when it was finished.

Thanks for the tip about Varonha Cycles @Raratch2. I'm in Sheffield, so that's a bit far for me! Otherwise £130 is very decent for someone who knows what they're doing. I've found somewhere local, but it's a powdercoaters who lots of industrial stuff, not specifically bikes, so I'm slightly cautious about it - though they apparently have someone there I can chat to about it who is hopefully familiar with doing bike frames.

I know H Lloyds don't vouch for their decals sticking to powdercoated frames, but I didn't really see it being an issue. Glad to hear other people haven't found it to be, either.

Anyway I've fully built the bike up now – only a few small adaptations needed to fit the modern stuff, plus the usual frame spreading which seems to have gone fine, as everything shifts rather nicely with only minor tweaks to the RD limits needed.

Next step the powdercoaters when I actually get a chance around holidays and kids...

No progress on the frame yet – hopefully next week I can drop it off, but I have decided on a quill stem and new bars rather than the ugly ones that came with the Ribble. They need to be black to match the groupset, so I've done a bit of spraying. I already had some nice Cinelli bars which were too scratched up to look good as they were, so those were a good starting point. I bought a matching Cinelli stem which also had a few marks so that's had a spray too. Two coats of primer and two of paint seem to have done the trick.

IMG_7115.jpg

Well, it's at the powder coaters now. They don't do metallics (as I suspected) so I went for a standard dark blue. It'll definitely not be that much like my mock-up, but hopefully I'll like the colour (even looking at a colour book in person it's really hard to imagine the final result, I find). Should be ready in about a week. 🤞

Back