Grail 853 restoration and build thread...

pwebb

Old School Hero
...thinking of entering my latest build into this month's BOTM so creating a build thread first:

the first indication that we had potentially chanced upon a rare find came when the recovery crew winched up what had been spotted by chance during a tricky sweep of the mariana trench - could it really be what we had been tipped off could have been lost nearby?

deep ocean recovery .png

once recovered we had the first clues as to the origin and condition and work ahead to uncover this gem of British design

long term marine crust.png

the 49 spoke wheels were an instant clue as to what we had found!

next job was a full acid bath treatment by the excellent Timperley dippers (0161 675675)

timperley dippers.png

unfortunately some frame work and repairs to the bespoke 853 tubing was needed - so we enlisted the help of the ill fated SBDU chaps from Ilkeston

frame repair.png

while this was happening I put in a cheeky bid on a stash of Super record parts that had been located in a bonded warehouse in Vicenza

NOS parts find.png powder coating by Michael A.png

groupo sorted, so time to get the beast powder coated by one of the original BE paint maestros ( team colour pantone matched - naturally) :

another lucky ebay find - original head tube decal!

headtube decal.png

well, it was worth the wait, first ride confirmed the unique feel of 853 smoothing all in its path

into the sunset.png

Last edited:
I smell a strong whiff of AI in this thread! Look forward to some real images being shared. Amazing first post, some great storytelling! I work in a creative studio so surrounded by advocates of AI!

Build up mostly complete - a mix of Athena, Centaur and Veloce NOS parts, not all period correct so this is very much restomod - I had intended to sell this as frame + forks and/or complete build,

DSC06530_cr.jpg
DSC06532_cr.jpg
DSC06549_cr.jpg
DSC06550_cr.jpg

DSC06553_cr.jpg
but having ridden it today i think I will be a bit loathe to let it go - it has turned out very light and responsive for an old 'un.

Latest posts

Back