1980 Witcomb restoration

Lovely! I love a Witcomb.
Ben Serotta learnt his trade at Witcomb.
Barry repaired my old mtb frame. He was such a kind bloke. I used to love visiting that old mediaeval shop!
Yes, the whole US Craft bicycle scene owes its DNA to Witcomb. Weigle and Chris Chance (IIRC) also came through his workshop. The name is much better known over the other side of the pond (and of course Witcomb built locally in the US too).

Last edited:
Yes 531; there was a witness mark where the old transfer had been (as you saw from the 'before' photos the transfers had largely flaked off). The frame and forks are 1.8kg / 4lbs and it takes a 27.2 post. I was puzzled at first as it took a 27.0, then I realised it was due to distorted seatclamp lugs. The stays all fit the stock tube dimensions too.

Really chunky seat stays! I remember this being a 'trend' in the early/mid 70's as I had a Dave Russell with similar style seat cluster. I like the paint scheme.

Really chunky seat stays! I remember this being a 'trend' in the early/mid 70's as I had a Dave Russell with similar style seat cluster. I like the paint scheme.
Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. I imagine it was some kind of option as I have only seen a couple of other Witcombs like it. It carries a full Carradice saddlebag nicely, which may be due to the chunky stays.

Latest posts

Back